PDA

View Full Version : oh dear (tm): French chefs say Brits don't know how to eat croissants

AtW
20th February 2016, 14:30
"Tesco’s decision to straighten out its curly croissants has divided opinion among top French chefs and bakers who cannot settle on which shape is the most authentic – but one thing they can agree on is that the British have been eating them the wrong way anyway.

The supermarket chain said the move was prompted by its customers wanting to spread their butter and jam more easily, but some of France’s finest croissant connoisseurs are aghast at the thought of sullying the carefully crafted pastries with such mundane condiments.

Jean-Christophe Novelli, the former personal chef to the French Rothschilds, who now runs a cookery school in Hertfordshire that has been hailed as one of the world’s best, said the French would “absolutely not” spread butter or jam on their croissants.

“A croissant is something that you dip into a bowl of chocolate or coffee,” Novelli said. “But never in my whole life have I met someone from France who eats a croissant with jam.”

Vincent Roussel, the manager of the bistro at London’s Institut Français, the centre for French culture in the UK, said: “In England, lots of British [people] eat it with butter and jam, but in France we eat it plain. We don’t cut it to put something inside, unless it’s an almond croissant and then it’s a filling to put inside.

“I know that 90% of the people asking me for jam and butter are British or from another country. But the French always have it plain.”

But Richard Bertinet, whose Bertinet bakeries in Bath are renowned for their French bread and pastries, disagreed and said it was perfectly acceptable to add a dollop of jam to your breakfast croissant. As for butter, however, he said: “I don’t understand that. A croissant is full of butter already.”"

Source: In a twist: Tesco's decision to stop selling curved croissants sparks debate | Life and style | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/feb/20/in-a-twist-tescos-decision-to-stop-selling-curved-croissants-sparks-debate)

I've always eaten moi croissants the right way then, which was nice. :smokin

VectraMan
20th February 2016, 15:21
I've always eaten moi croissants the right way then, which was nice. :smokin

:spel mes

What they don't say is that Tesco croissants are usually so stale that you need butter and jam to make them edible.

MicrosoftBob
20th February 2016, 15:33
Jean-Christophe Novelli, the former personal chef to the French Rothschilds, who now runs a cookery school in Hertfordshire that has been hailed as one of the world’s best, said the French would “absolutely not” spread butter or jam on their croissants.

That would be the same Rothschilds who made the stuffed animal museum in Hertfordshire for the full League of Gentlemen experience

xoggoth
20th February 2016, 18:00
Wow! I agree with the French on something! Best argument for staying in the EU I've ever seen.

NickFitz
20th February 2016, 18:22
It may be wrong, but baby, it feels so right :tongue

cojak
20th February 2016, 18:46
I saw someone dunking their croissant in coffee in the South of France and thought it a brilliant idea, but when I tried it I was told that one didn't do it in 'polite company' as it was considered common and peasant-like.

So basically, dunking yer croissant in coffee is chavvy.

(I still do it though...)

cojak
20th February 2016, 18:48
:spel mes

What they don't say is that Tesco croissants are usually so stale that you need butter and jam to make them edible.

Dunking them in coffee soon sorts that it. :happy

SueEllen
20th February 2016, 19:04
Dunking them in coffee soon sorts that it. :happy

Simply not buying them from Tesco, horrible shop, avoids that problem.

AtW
20th February 2016, 19:43
Waitrose is selling nice ones, yum.

NibblyPig
20th February 2016, 20:19
The French have been eating them wrong.

greenlake
20th February 2016, 21:26
Vincent Roussel, the manager of the bistro at London’s Institut Français, the centre for French culture in the UK, said: “In England, lots of British [people] eat it with butter and jam, but in France we eat it plain. We don’t cut it to put something inside, unless it’s an almond croissant and then it’s a filling to put inside.

He should try one with bacon and Nutella....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WbUbpyBh278/UOoU5MnUbxI/AAAAAAAAAss/hOIM-2EsrKI/s600/20130102_093244.jpg

darmstadt
20th February 2016, 21:58
Maybe it could be called a Broissant to reflect the UK and EU :laugh

NibblyPig
20th February 2016, 22:38
Maybe it could be called a Broissant to reflect the UK and EU :laugh

Freedom croissant?

vetran
22nd February 2016, 09:39
Freedom croissant?

that would be France & USA..

Halo Jones
22nd February 2016, 12:07
Well considering that the French can’t make a decent baguette <linky> (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35562251) I shall continue to have a nice raspberry jam with my croissant :smile

norrahe
22nd February 2016, 13:08
Always ate them unadorned and undunked.

I do remember that Pret used to do a egg and bacon croissant which was rather nice.

FatLazyContractor
22nd February 2016, 13:14
Let me find out from my Butler :igmc:

vetran
22nd February 2016, 13:16
in hot chocolate is there any other way?

oh yes stuffed with Brie & warmed.

LondonManc
22nd February 2016, 14:31
Tom's Kitchen do a nice ham and cheese croissant.

If I'm just buying a plain croissant, I'm eating it plain. No butter or jam; at that point you should have bought a scone.

northernladuk
22nd February 2016, 14:34
Tom's Kitchen do a nice ham and cheese croissant.

If I'm just buying a plain croissant, I'm eating it plain. No butter or jam; at that point you should have bought a scone.

Pronounce scone.. NOT scone..

Hmmmm. Having a pronunciation argument on a forum doesn't quite seem to work.

Willapp
22nd February 2016, 14:53

As in rhymes with cone not gone. :smile

LondonManc
22nd February 2016, 14:56

Hmmmm. Having a pronunciation argument on a forum doesn't quite seem to work.

Wouldn't stop you having an argument though, would it? ;):D