• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spouses On The Payroll

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spouses On The Payroll

Got married recently so looking to see if circumstances changing means I an be more tax efficient, I don't use an accountant so can't ask them, but want to bounce my thinking off the learned populous!

Marriage Allowance allows me to transfer 10% of MrsMac tax allowance to myself, but I guess this is offset by the extra NI i would pay (10% and 13.8%), so 99 times out of 100 it would not be worth while, however if I was to bring MrsMac on to the books as a PA, and pay her an appropriate salary (£10 a hour, 1 day a week, so say £4500 a year) this would allow me to claim the Employment Allowance on Class 1 NI, but is this on both Employers and Employees NI or just the companies contributions?

I know technically I could give her a salary of £11k a year like myself, but feel uneasy as it would be almost impossible to justify her salary, and I want to stay within the spirit of the law as well as the letter.

I guess its a no brainer to make her a shareholder of the company, as it will be easier to keep below the higher tax bracket, especially as I have additional income from my BTL.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

AIUI the allowance transfer is only allowed if you are a basic rate tax payer - I'm guessing as the only earner this might not apply to you?

The employment allowance rules are not finalised yet. It seems quite probable that in the final rules the allowance will not be allowed in this situation. Don't plan round it until you know what it looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      AIUI the allowance transfer is only allowed if you are a basic rate tax payer - I'm guessing as the only earner this might not apply to you?

The employment allowance rules are not finalised yet. It seems quite probable that in the final rules the allowance will not be allowed in this situation. Don't plan round it until you know what it looks like.
      What is defined as a basic tax rate payer? If you keep your dividends below the higher bracket surely that makes you a basic rate tax payer?

I know the EA rules are in consultation, just thinking ahead

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I want to stay within the spirit of the law as well as the letter.
        Then put yourself within IR35.

Just pay her £11k a year. It is the letter of the law that counts.

Comment

I pay my spouse 11k per year. Accountant never ever objected to it. I know many here pay only £8k or so, but she wouldn't build up any state pension with that amount.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            What is defined as a basic tax rate payer? If you keep your dividends below the higher bracket surely that makes you a basic rate tax payer?

I know the EA rules are in consultation, just thinking ahead
            Yes. (And BTL income) I had assumed with a family to support and MrsMac below the personal allowance, you were going over that. (Forgot you were from Yorkshire ) As soon as she becomes a tax payer, you can no longer transfer the allowance.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              I pay my spouse 11k per year. Accountant never ever objected to it. I know many here pay only £8k or so, but she wouldn't build up any state pension with that amount.
              What does she do to earn that 11k?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                Every few years I write off to DWP for pension statement for my wife and I. Then top up as necessary.

I have been paying since the age of 13 so nearly 40 years worth now!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  What does she do to earn that 11k?
                  She is the company's canteen lady, cooks me dinners and nannie brings the kids to school and picks them up.
                  She also manages the director's carpark and keeps it free from intruders.
                  Last edited by Eirikur; 22 February 2016, 09:30.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    As soon as she becomes a tax payer, you can no longer transfer the allowance.
                    Ah I guess that puts the kibosh on the transfer, it only makes sense if I am above the £8060, but I only makes sense to be above the £8060 with more than one person on the payroll

Comment

Working...
                    X