• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reasons for considering a permie role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons for considering a permie role

Sick of agencies/job boards/fake jobs etc, I'm looking at a couple of permie opportunities. Having contracted for several years the inevitable question arises of "why are you now looking for a permanent role?".

Killer answers sought!
    Only the mediocre are ever at their best

1) I want to make a career.

Comment

You hate keep having to leave your new colleagues and your priceless bit of work behind.

Comment

1. To give the best years of my life to the company
        2. To make lots more money for those up the food chain than I am paid
        3. To further the careers of my superiors at the expense of my own
        4. To do other people's work for no credit or recognition
        5. To reproduce with the company fluzee and make another corporate man
        6. To sing from the corporate hymn book, evangalise and brainwash others.
        7. To get made redundant for political reasons
        8. To die and leave any remaining money to the company

Comment

Originally posted by TheOmegaMan
          1. To give the best years of my life to the company
          2. To make lots more money for those up the food chain than I am paid
          3. To further the careers of my superiors at the expense of my own
          4. To do other people's work for no credit or recognition
          5. To reproduce with the company fluzee and make another corporate man
          6. To sing from the corporate hymn book, evangalise and brainwash others.
          7. To get made redundant for political reasons
          8. To die and leave any remaining money to the company
          Tried 1, 2, 3 and 7.

5 sounds promising, but doesn't the office bike usually get off with a series of contractors?
          Only the mediocre are ever at their best

Comment

Reason 0 : I want to sit back and relax while contractors do the work...
            The rest is silence...

Comment

So I can criticise the shortcomings of the contractors on site ?

Seriously,tell them want they want to hear, eg I want to be part of a team, career progression, tired of moving around living out of a suitcase ... a selling point is that your contracting experience with various systems and organisations, get the job done approach, will be of great value.

Its a moot point but a lot of the contracting rates on offer these days are not far off the permie equivalent, so it can be a worthwhile option.

Comment

Saying you can no longer contract due to family, kids, and using general settling down buzz words seems to have worked for a few mates. Its best not to be looking for permie when the contract market is in a slump as you'll be in the queue with other contractors with mortgages. The other way is to be a model worker from now on, make the right noises and get taken on permie via that route. I've been briefly back to permiedom once in a dozen years, it was awful, never again.

Comment

Tell 'em you've spent years looking for your "perfect" role and now you've found it.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                    Tell 'em you've spent years looking for your "perfect" role and now you've found it.
                    Nice. Then jump out of the way as they vom all over the place.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X