• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving contract early

Has anyone actually done it? Often talked about here. I am giving it consideration. My notice period is 28 days, their notice is 7 days – which complicates matters somewhat.

Politics are too rampant, I am working with some disturbed people, eg this mornings rant from a colleague about the whiteboard. I am needing to worry more about my sanity than the day rate. Scott Adams would have a field day here.

I have a quality process that was agreed, but the said process has been ignored, resulting in non-achievance of what were already challenging dates, and a rack of problems that should have been managed early getting ignored and problems compounded. I have an excellent relationship with the business and user community, but having serious challenges with a poisonous programme manager who just wants me to accept all his problems without listening.

Need to decide if I can be bothered to deal with matters or to just walk. Which will be a slow walk at 28 days.....

Maybe I just need a day off and a reboot. Or a pot noodle.

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Has anyone actually done it? Often talked about here. I am giving it consideration. My notice period is 28 days, their notice is 7 days – which complicates matters somewhat.

Politics are too rampant, I am working with some disturbed people, eg this mornings rant from a colleague about the whiteboard. I am needing to worry more about my sanity than the day rate. Scott Adams would have a field day here.

I have a quality process that was agreed, but the said process has been ignored, resulting in non-achievance of what were already challenging dates, and a rack of problems that should have been managed early getting ignored and problems compounded. I have an excellent relationship with the business and user community, but having serious challenges with a poisonous programme manager who just wants me to accept all his problems without listening.

Need to decide if I can be bothered to deal with matters or to just walk. Which will be a slow walk at 28 days.....

Man up and raise any deviations from the agreed path.

If you have a risk register/issue log/RAID log, use them.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I would suggest that.. Oh it's Wilmslow.. Forget that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Wilmslooooooooooooooooooow!

Comment

The actual question is AYCOTBAC?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
            Winstons massage parlour in Manchester

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              Winstons massage parlour in Manchester
              How does Winstons compare to Sandys Superstars? I don't see it on Punternet.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Man up and raise any deviations from the agreed path.

If you have a risk register/issue log/RAID log, use them.
                WTF?

The "manning up" thing to do here is to walk. Walk immediately. When the client hits you with a breach-of-contract lawsuit, you file a breach-of-contract counter-suit for the procedures etc. that haven't been followed (you do have them contractualised, don't you?)

Yes, we all know that you're burning bridges and all that, but look at it like this. You're burning bridges with an insane client that you don't ever want a bridge with in the first place, so nothing lost.

Or, you could do what LondonManc suggests, which is the exact opposite of "manning up" and is more akin to bending over and lubing up your own backside like some bedwetting doormat in indentured servitude.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                  The "manning up" thing to do here is to walk. Walk immediately. When the client hits you with a breach-of-contract lawsuit, you file a breach-of-contract counter-suit for the procedures etc. that haven't been followed (you do have them contractualised, don't you?)
                  You must be new here and don't know Wilmslow as well as we do ....

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                    WTF?

Yes, we all know that you're burning bridges and all that, but look at it like this. You're burning bridges with an insane client that you don't ever want a bridge with in the first place, so nothing lost.

Or, you could do what LondonManc suggests, which is the exact opposite of "manning up" and is more akin to bending over and lubing up your own backside like some bedwetting doormat in indentured servitude.
                    Nonsense. If there was an agreed process in work and someone didn't follow it, you'd walk? That's not manning up, that's dummy spitting and cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If you're working on a project and process isn't being followed, which is jeopardising delivery, do you walk off site or do you raise it? You must have manned up and walked off site a few times.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X