• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SIPP & Commercial Property

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SIPP & Commercial Property

Has anyone on here actually used a SIPP to buy commercial property ?

Anything to look out for (with the SIPP fees, not the property itself) or recommendations ??
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Out of interest is this purely for financial speculation, or is the commercial property for your own business to use?

If the former, sounds a bit risky unless it only forms a small % of your investments, especially given global economy, brexit, Scottish referendum, etc.

Comment

In 2009 I invested £50k via a SIPP and got 1% of an office block. It was supposed to yield 5% a year for 5 years. And was sold for £6m in 2015. I was expecting £70k+ back - but ended up with ~60k. The fees had sucked up so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        Has anyone on here actually used a SIPP to buy commercial property ?

Anything to look out for (with the SIPP fees, not the property itself) or recommendations ??
        I don't think a chip van counts as commercial property matey. Nice try though

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          I don't think a chip van counts as commercial property matey. Nice try though
          The last thing I need is advice from a slum landlord

A local gangster went bust recently and owned several shops which are now for sale by the trustee. We're talking miniscule amounts of money here, by Dimprawn standards. Was more worried about fees sucking the life out of the whole thing. Started reading comparisons of fees on SIPPs which allow commercial property purchase but lost the will to live part way through. Currently have a HL SIPP so would need to move.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Out of interest is this purely for financial speculation, or is the commercial property for your own business to use?

If the former, sounds a bit risky unless it only forms a small % of your investments, especially given global economy, brexit, Scottish referendum, etc.
            Where I live is a bit of a micro economy of its own Hasn't changed much since 1960. Shops don't pull much in rent but they don't cost much either. There is one, for example, that I could buy for £14K which would pull £400 ish a month. For about £50-55K I could buy 4 of varying sizes.

They were bought, at way above market, by a 'gangsta' a few years ago, who paid double asking price and tried to rent at city centre prices in an island town. Have now all been repossessed.

Comment

Just because any sane person would need to be paid to live up there it doesn't make your home a commercial property
              HTH
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We're talking miniscule amounts of money here, by Dimprawn standards.
                That was below the belt...

Urban Dictionary: dim prawn

Comment

Has anyone on here actually used a SIPP to buy commercial property ? Anything to look out for (with the SIPP fees, not the property itself) or recommendations
                  ??
                  You should ask the daddy (AKA MF) - he put £140k into Govt sanctioned ponzi scheme which he intends to put into SIPP and buy commercial property ...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Just because any sane person would need to be paid to live up there it doesn't make your home a commercial property
                    HTH
                    I knew I should have put this in a professional forum, keep the flat capped plebs out

Comment

Working...
                    X