• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling 'expensive' car privately

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling 'expensive' car privately

Does anyone have any experience selling a £30k+ car privately? Does anyone do it? Tempted to put an ad on Autotrader (there are loads of others on there but no idea if any of them sell) but suspect most calls will be from scammers, and also wonder if potential buyers put off by needing to clear outstanding finance (I know there are 3rd party ESCROW services out there) and getting their own finance could be troublesome too.

Here

HTH

Comment

What's the insurance like on it - might be better to have it stolen and pay the outstanding?

Comment

Blimey they weren't kidding when they said 'All hope abandon ye who enter here'.

Comment

Stick around you might get some actual advice, but during the day it's often bored people.

Comment

Finance aspect would put a lot of private buyers off.

You'd get calls from traders and chancers offering 1/2 market value for quick sale, willing to take on the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
              Stick around you might get some actual advice, but during the day it's often bored people.
              Does anyone remember LucidDemetia? Is Sean LucidD??
              I can't remember if their opting styles are the same.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
                Blimey they weren't kidding when they said 'All hope abandon ye who enter here'.
                Everyone I know who has tried it has found it a lot of hassle.

Remember everyone who test drives your car needs to be insured and it's up to you to check. And that's after you dealt with the time wasters and scammers.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Dunno what make / model you got but there are certain Eastern Europeans who will cut it in half, get it in a trailer to the continent and then sell it for parts

Big ticket BMW's are especially popular

HTH
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
                    Does anyone have any experience selling a £30k+ car privately? Does anyone do it? Tempted to put an ad on Autotrader (there are loads of others on there but no idea if any of them sell) but suspect most calls will be from scammers, and also wonder if potential buyers put off by needing to clear outstanding finance (I know there are 3rd party ESCROW services out there) and getting their own finance could be troublesome too.

Sold an E-Type Jaguar back in 2011 and the experience was generally okay. I did it via eBay, mainly because I could write a good description, add many images (hosted on my own website) and it gave it plenty of exposure. I would go with your gut feeling when you get enquiries. I did get a number of time wasters and a couple of traders with low bids. Payment was via banker's draft and I did a good nose about on the internet to check the buyer out.

Comment

Working...
                    X