• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

insurance

Renewing my house contents insurance and need to cover the business equipment in the office. Anyone recommend a good insurers who can cope with around 10K of equipment? A couple I have spoken to seem only to cover up to 5K...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Halifax didn't give me any hassle about £10k of equipment. Mind you, the only true test of whether a policy is good is when you make a claim and I've never had to, touch wood.

Comment

Prudential were happy to cover me for 20k a couple of years ago. I have never made a claim with them on the house insurance but they were sh*t hot wehn some silly woman drove into the back of me on a roundabout.

Despite her claiming not to have hit me/no damage on my car/my fault they got the money out of her insurance company nice and quick with no court action and I had a nice brand new A4 S-Line for 2 weeks while my car was fixed and buffed up at an Audi certified repair shop. I was very impressed overall.

Comment

If someone hit you in the back then it is automatically their fault - they did not keep up the distance. Actual damage to the car is easily proveable - it is either damaged or it is not, cars are designed to absorb pressure now, so almost any hit will show damage.

Comment

Sorry to bring the thread back to the point but i'm interested in insuring my business equipment, not my car. For those of you have so far mentioned a couple of companies, thanks, but are you certain your business equipment was covered or is it an assumption? Halifax, for example, on their online quote, make the assumption no business activity is undertaken at the address...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Well to be 100% precise she clipped me just behind my rear right wheel (along the side of the car) and scratched up to my rear door after trying to move into my lane without looking to see if there was anybody there.

She then didn't stop and I had to chase her and jumped out and had a go at her when she got stuck behind a red traffic light. At which point she denied hitting me, then said oh well there is no damage anyway and when i pointed it out said well you were in the wrong lane so it is your fault anyway.

No witnesses (no fecker wanted to get involved) and a collision on a roundabout with the woman blatantly trying to get out of it didn't bode well at the time. I've been to court a couple of times giving evidence in RTA's and every time I have seen the woman involved turn on the tears and act like a victem only to win when she was blatently in the wrong so I was expecting the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
              Sorry to bring the thread back to the point but i'm interested in insuring my business equipment, not my car. For those of you have so far mentioned a couple of companies, thanks, but are you certain your business equipment was covered or is it an assumption? Halifax, for example, on their online quote, make the assumption no business activity is undertaken at the address...

100% positive, I specifically asked for it on the phone as I had a few servers at my place of residence at the time (now secured in a data centre so don't need the extra insurance any more) and it was on my insurance certificate as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                100% positive, I specifically asked for it on the phone as I had a few servers at my place of residence at the time
                You did not have to pay council business rates or any similar kind of perverted tax?

Comment

Nope, they weren't commisioned at the time just sitting there while I built them and got the contract to put them in the data centre sorted out etc. I thought it best to get them covered just in case some chavy scumbag managed to break in while they were there. Only had them there for about 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                    are you certain your business equipment was covered or is it an assumption? Halifax, for example, on their online quote, make the assumption no business activity is undertaken at the address...
                    Yes, I'm certain. It was arranged through my broker to my precise requirements.

Online quotes are for permies.

Comment

Working...
                    X