• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Air Travel Myths

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Travel Myths

Quiz

I'm probably thick but could somebody explain the answer to question 7

Edit - I guess the doors open inwards. Never noticed :

Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 29 February 2016, 13:28.

MF will probably score 20

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
      Quiz

No probably about it.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        No probably about it.
        Oh we'll see who's laughing on Saturday ;-)

Comment

Quiz

Fear not – the altitude means there's an extraordinary amount of pressure pushing against the door from the outside. Even Arnie couldn't manage it.
          outwards from that and memory
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I expected a bowl of spaghetti to appear somewhere.

Comment

Quiz

Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLIPXWVbEDw

At a cruise of 35,000 feet we need to keep the cabin pressure below 75.8 KPA (11 PSI), the ambient pressure at 8000 feet. A main door slides on the horizontal plane and are locked & sealed on the vertical. At 35,000 feet, the ambient pressure is about 24.8 KPA (3.6 PSI) if the average door is 8 square feet, the pressure exerted on the door is about 4.25 tons.

The reason for the 8000 foot cap is to avoid nasties like altitude sickness, decompression sickness, hypoxia etc.

Newer commercial jets are somewhere in the range of 6-7000 feet equivalent cabin pressure & some executive jets are in the 4000 foot range.
              Last edited by clearedforlanding; 29 February 2016, 13:55. Reason: What a hangover.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                Indeed. At a cruise of 35,000 feet we need to keep the cabin pressure below 75.8 KPA (11 PSI), the ambient pressure at 8000 feet. The emergency exits do indeed open inwards, but a main door slides on the hosrizontal plabe and is the locked & sealed on the vertical. At 35,000 feet, the ambient pressure is about 24.8 KPA (3.6 PSI) if the average door is 8 square feet, the pressure exerted on the door is about 4.25 tons.

The reason for the 8000 foot cap is to avoid nasties like altitude sickness, decompression sickness, hypoxia etc.

Newer commercial jets are somewhere in the range of 6-7000 feet equivalent cabin pressure & some executive jets are in the 4000 foot range.
                That's equivalent to an altitude of 2500 metres... No wonder flying can make you feel so groggy

Comment

That's equivalent to an altitude of 2500 metres... No wonder flying can make you feel so groggy
                  That and we turn up the cabin heat when people are getting a bit too tipsy on flights to the FSU to send them to sleep.

FYI the A380 & 767 can hold it at 6000 feet which makes for a much nicer experience.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X