• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

30 mins gained/wasted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 mins gained/wasted

Man who signs the timesheets wants a 121 every Friday on the phone, today no show sat here for 30 mins and told to hang on a sec. Been posting nonsense on here instead, the joys

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
    Man who signs the timesheets wants a 121 every Friday on the phone, today no show sat here for 30 mins and told to hang on a sec. Been posting nonsense on here instead, the joys
    Why does he want 121? I would tell him to shove it and sign my timesheet.

Comment

9 minutes is the most I allow anyone to keep me waiting on a conf call. When it hits 10 min -> Click followed by an email informing them I held on for 10 minutes and giving them the action to reschedule.

Comment

I am about to tell him his dev team are useless so i hung on and now i am all disappointed. He will have to settle for my report instead.

Comment

I am about to tell him his dev team are useless so i hung on and now i am all disappointed. He will have to settle for my report instead.
          I don't like folk who do this to be honest, and I find it happens all too regularly, someone comes in, usually a very confident pain in the arse type, winds up then loudly proclaims everyone is tulip in the team, then finishes and moves on to next gig.

If folk are useless, why not help them, that's what I'd do, if I could?

Comment

Originally posted by OnceStonedRose View Post
            I don't like folk who do this to be honest, and I find it happens all too regularly, someone comes in, usually a very confident pain in the arse type, winds up then loudly proclaims everyone is tulip in the team, then finishes and moves on to next gig.

I have been helping and coaching a 3rd party agency who are delivering (or not) the software solution. We have introduced a whole bunch of processes to help them and they still cannot deliver. This is a very expensive agency that simply cannot deliver predictability, accurate estimates or even communicate in good time when issues arise. The code that is produced is of good quality but the velocity and throughput is very poor and doesn't meet expectations set by this very dev team.

Does that make you feel better?

Comment

I have been helping and coaching a 3rd party agency who are delivering (or not) the software solution. We have introduced a whole bunch of processes to help them and they still cannot deliver. This is a very expensive agency that simply cannot deliver predictability, accurate estimates or even communicate in good time when issues arise. The code that is produced is of good quality but the velocity and throughput is very poor and doesn't meet expectations set by this very dev team.

Does that make you feel better?
              A bit, can you back this up with a burndown chart please?

Comment

A bit, can you back this up with a burndown chart please?
                Its funny you should mention this as my burn down chart goes up then flatlines, then drops off a cliff when they remove 50 points from the sprint as they under estimated.

Its good here

Comment

Its funny you should mention this as my burn down chart goes up then flatlines, then drops off a cliff when they remove 50 points from the sprint as they 'never really had a clue what they were doing in the first place'

Its good here
                  Ftfy

Comment

Give them a hug?

I keep working at places that are tulip, I just bitch about it to other people and smile at work and tell everyone how great they are.

The only way to help the last place I worked would have been with a can of petrol and some matches. In my team in a giant cattle farm open office decorated in putrid 2 tone colour, 30 mins for lunch (takes 15 mins to walk off site, so good luck relaxing), all managers, 2 devs, no methodology or code standards/practices or code review, ancient pcs that took 15 minutes to reboot, and this is one of the most famous innovative technology companies in the UK. Internet, a 1mbit broadband connection shared between about 5,000 people, locked down tighter than a nun's chuff (you download a 1mb pdf manual for a service you want to consume, and it takes 25 minutes), no phone signal, and an all-work ethic (no relaxing for 2 mins in between tasks and browsing bbc news) with clockwatching managers (who will find you if you spend more than 3 minutes in a kitchen the size of a broom cupboard shared with 300 people and ask why you are not working), plus an argumentative guy who thinks he's amazing and overrides decisions such as 'we should make a new column in the database rather than re-use an existing column for something other than its original purpose', very loudly, and in front of the dev manager (quickly learned to shut up and let him tulip all over the code for fear of losing job).

If you can think of how to help them, be my guest The rate and commute were terrible too.
                    Last edited by NibblyPig; 4 March 2016, 17:31.
                    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Working...
                    X