• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why the floodgates are open

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the floodgates are open

Bullied' immigration staff quit

More than 170 staff quit the immigration department during the first three months of 2006, it has emerged.

Nearly one out of every five returned a questionnaire saying it was because of discrimination, harassment or bullying.

One ex-employee said she was bullied by managers trying to meet targets to deal quickly with immigration claims.

But one ex-worker, who did not wish to be named, told the programme workers checking applications to stay in Britain had been under constant pressure to approve them quickly rather than seek extra information, which might have resulted in them being rejected.

"You were not given any credit for using your brains and finding out that something was falsified," she added.

"You were meant to skim over the top. If it virtually looked all right and it met most of the criteria, then you were to grant it.

"If you carried on, and you dug, or you thought something was a bit off, you were penalised for it.

"You lose out on your money, not meeting your targets, and being told that you have got to perform better.

"We actually ended up with the management team stopping you from refusing, and saying that you are being too picky, and you should have just granted that person."
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Link please, Mr T....
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

It's from the BBC
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

It's a disgrace.

If they are going to set targets at all, it should be for the number of cases rejected. After all, that is the sole purpose of having immigration officers!

Comment

The same thing is probably going on over at the Work Permits department for the last five years. They approve permits at a rate of 100 per day. There is no way that they can check that the employer has made any real effort to hire locally, etc.
          Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by Buffoon
            They approve permits at a rate of 100 per day.
            They have at least 20 people there, that's 5 work permits per person per day - not a huge amount. It is up to employer to supply proof of local advertising (if it is necessary, which it is not in plenty of cases) - copies of ads in mags, newspapers etc, if this info is not supplied then app should be rejected.

Comment

Not sufficient. If a company cannot make a profit without paying wages that UK citizens cannot live on then all that happens in the end, if you allow residence anyway, is that the taxpayer foots the difference. Check the figures for benefits for Bangladeshis for example. It is disguised subsidy that benefits the bosses and not the nation.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

People on work permit are not entitled to benefits.

Comment

Unless they just get given NI numbers on request that is. And having been here long enough they can claim residence quite regardless of worth to the nation.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Wot 'nation' would that be then....?
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X