• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Idea for a new financial services product - Mortgage guaranteed by pension fund

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I want to buy a house. I could just about afford it cash, but would have zero savings if I did that, and given that I am in and out of work all the time it wouldn’t be fun being in between gigs with no access to funds.
    Mortgage companies are few and far between in being prepared to accept me, since I like to take prolonged periods off work (as I don’t really need to work a full year to earn what I am happy to live on).
    So my main problem is I am mid gig at the moment, and it could end any time really due to the usual stuff client needs changing etc, if it ends the mortgage company will probably pull the plug on the mortgage.
    I am only a few years away from 55 when I can access my pension pot. Even if I paid 40 % tax on whatever I took out it would still comfortably cover the price of the house.
    So my idea for an innovative financial product is a mortgage which doesn’t rely on your work status, but rather agrees to accept a charge on your pension fund as security (in addition to the house which they already have as security). That way they have guaranteed collateral, and I can buy a house without worrying the job and mortgage will get pulled at the last minute.
    So whats wrong with this plan?

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    Just one thing - at nearly 55 you should be concerned about other things than loading yourself up with a lot of mortgage debton top of the house pricing bubble...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Just one thing - at nearly 55 you should be concerned about other things than loading yourself up with a lot of mortgage debton top of the house pricing bubble...
      Its not that much debt, in the context of other things like how much I will inherit when elderly relatives croak etc.

Comment

Its not that much debt, in the context of other things like how much I will inherit when elderly relatives croak etc.

It's

Get it right!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

It's

Get it right!
          The reality is if my income was smoothed over and continuous, rather than rather large peaks and some laziness in between, earning the same... then guess what a mortgage wouldn't be a problem. I regard it as discrimination against those of us earning enough not to need to work full years.

Comment

Where to start...

Comment

Working...
            X