• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most tax efficient salary for 2016-17

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most tax efficient salary for 2016-17

As far as I'm aware, in the 2016-17 tax year, the personal allowance goes up to £11,000 and the first £5,000 of dividends is exempt from tax.

In this article, example 2, it claims the most tax-efficient salary to take is £8,060.

How much will the April 2016 dividend tax changes cost you?

Can someone please explain why this is the case? I thought £11,000 is the upper limit.

Also, does it imply if I choose NOT to take a salary, I can take £11,000 + £5,000 = £16,000 as dividends, completely tax free?

Thanks
    Last edited by smileyface; 8 March 2016, 09:52.

Originally posted by smileyface View Post
    As far as I'm aware, in the 2016-17 tax year, the personal allowance goes up to £11,000.

In this article, example 2, it claims the most tax-efficient salary to take is £8,060.

How much will the April 2016 dividend tax changes cost you?

Can someone please explain why this is the case? I thought £11,000 is the upper limit.

Thanks
    The difference is National insurance is due between 8060 and 11K. If you still qualify for the Employment Allowance (currently if there's more than one employee - subject to confirmation in the budget) then 11K is still a better option.

Comment

Thanks, so you mean no NI is payable for anything up to £8,060?

Do you know the answer to my second question, re the taking salary as dividends?

Comment

The employee thing will be very interesting to find out, as technically my company employs my accountant as well as myself.
        Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
          The employee thing will be very interesting to find out, as technically my company employs my accountant as well as myself.
          Really?? I think you are using the wrong meaning. You are employing his services, not him.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Really?? I think you are using the wrong meaning. You are employing his services, not him.
            In my case I am employing him as a salaried employee.

Comment

In my case I am employing him as a salaried employee.
              Ah.... Does he have a contract of employment?

But yes that will be a bit different from the norm.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Ah.... Does he have a contract of employment?

But yes that will be a bit different from the norm.
                Yep - It is a bit unusual, I must admit.

If it avoids this unfortunate punishment for companies with a single employee that is also the director though, a happy coincidence it was set up that way.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyface View Post

Also, does it imply if I choose NOT to take a salary, I can take £11,000 + £5,000 = £16,000 as dividends, completely tax free?
                  You can, and there would be no further tax to pay; but you will already have been taxed at 20% Corp Tax on your dividends, so this is not the most efficient way to take the money.

Your accountant should be able to talk you through this stuff. You do have an accountant, don't you?

Comment

Yep - It is a bit unusual, I must admit.

If it avoids this unfortunate punishment for companies with a single employee that is also the director though, a happy coincidence it was set up that way.
                    It's hardly a "punishment" - the EA was intended to encourage companies to take on employees, not for one man contractor limited companies to get a tax break.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X