• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wobbly legs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wobbly legs

What's the longest standup meeting you've been in. Today's 15 minutes was 45.

Now everyone is back from holidays, secondments to other projects etc the bite is on to get things done and for all of my warnings these past months everything I have foretold is starting to come true.

Full on panic mode here, it feels more like Pompeii circa 79ad.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra_%28metaphor%29

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Now everyone is back from holidays, secondments to other projects etc the bite is on to get things done and for all of my warnings these past
      Only to bugger off in another week for Easter ...

Comment

Made I larf muchly. Did you mean to actually help?

Comment

Did you mean to actually help?
          Good god no!

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            Only to bugger off in another week for Easter ...
            Ackchewally what I noticed when I was the team lead was that my "ring fenced" resource was anything but. At today's standup it was the same old story that the resources "just had to finish xyz for so'n'so" as they're already overdue work slipped even further behind blocking development streams left, right and centre,

Now being asked to stay on as a consultant to watch this trainwreck while topping up the warchest is bloomin brill

Comment

In fairness to Suity, Cassandra's prophesies and warnings were always true. It's just than nobody believed them.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I think I may learn a lot here. Normally I get very het up about delivery and stress over it.

I am learning a lot from the BA about the "Alternative success model" where you simply define your failure in new terms that guarantee a successful outcome. It's all about managing expectations (lower) gradually.

So you can never fail using this model. Just aim impossibly high, and ratchet down slowly every week until you deliver a crayon drawing of Barney the Dinosaur and everyone's happy.

Comment

Egg timer with a loud ring.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Egg timer with a loud ring.
                    I said standup meeting not knee trembler behind the bikesheds in high school.

Comment

Working...
                    X