• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Dreaded Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dreaded Question

During a progress/update call yesterday with the time sheet signer/lunatic he asked the question i hoped he wouldnt..

Him, Will you go perm?
    Me, Not really my thing i enjoy contracting etc etc
    Him, what would it take?
    Me, Trying to let him down gently. I said would have be astronomical number. I invented a perm role i turned down for 6 figures hoping he would take the hint but he either didn't hear me or has more money than i thought! He has asked i email him a number. I have ignored this request.

Place is a bit of a mess, vanishing budgets, headcount freeze, bad 3rd parties to manage and this guy would become my boss and is he very intense. They are US based so i suspect calls all hours and his team are working 80 weeks...Sod that

The good news was he started discussing an extension as well which was kind of odd in the same convo. He let it slip that he rates me and if i left the project will nose dive again.

I feel in a half decent position to ignore the will you become a permie please Mincepie and this will turn into another extension (current up end April).

Keep the dialogue open, bounce stupid numbers back and forth, all the while invoicing and looking for the next gig.

Sounds like the sort of place MF would be working at. 80 hours a week, living out of tulip hotels and airport lounges.

Comment

Why bother turning him down gently? Just give them a figure somewhere around 200k and ask for a a bonus on top and wait

Either way it doesn't sound like there is anymore longevity left so time to move on.

Comment

Quote realistically I guess, and keep your feelers out.

I mean would you put up with all that for £1,000,000? Start working backwards from there.

See how low you'll go. FLC can probably advise on that topic.
        Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Comment

i threw a number out there i turned down (i didnt) of 140k but i dont think he heard it. If he asks me again i will start at 160 and wait for him to faint

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
              Quote realistically I guess, and keep your feelers out.

I mean would you put up with all that for £1,000,000? Start working backwards from there.

See how low you'll go. FLC can probably advise on that topic.
              What's there to advise when there aren't hookers or coke in the topic?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                What's there to advise when there aren't hookers or coke in the topic?
                I got that covered separately

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
                  i threw a number out there i turned down (i didnt) of 140k but i dont think he heard it. If he asks me again i will start at 160 and wait for him to faint

Problem with that is that you've started to negotiate.

You say £160k. He says, £75k. He says "£85k" and you say "Done .... errr no, I don't want to .... sh*t".

Just say "No thanks, I don't want to be a permie".

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                    Problem with that is that you've started to negotiate.

You say £160k. He says, £75k. He says "£85k" and you say "Done .... errr no, I don't want to .... sh*t".

Just say "No thanks, I don't want to be a permie".
                    I am going to ignore him until he says piss off or here is your extension i think

Comment

Working...
                    X