• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much more dividend to take out to be tax-efficient?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much more dividend to take out to be tax-efficient?

How much more dividend should I pay out to be tax-efficient?

There will be one more salary payment of gross £883.33 at the end of the month.
    Donations this year from my personal bank account: £850.

I asked my accountant, but I get very confused with his answers and I sometimes thinks he doesn't really care.

All I want is to do the tax-efficient think and I think that means maxing out the "higher rate" dividend bracket, which means salary+dividends should be £100.000.

The dividend tax is going up next year is why I'd like to pay myself out more now, instead of next year.

Originally posted by ujjain View Post
    I asked my accountant, but I get very confused with his answers and I sometimes thinks he doesn't really care.
    And you think a bunch of people on an internet forum who are not accountants and know absolutely squat about your situation do?

Get back on to them and don't let them go until it makes sense. It's not rocket science.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Are you already in the higher tax bracket this year? Are you likely to be in the higher tax bracket next year?

Without considering both of those, it's an impossible question to determine which is more tax efficient.

When I ran the figures yesterday, it turns out my wife will have an increased tax burden of £5, but I can't be bothered to faff around to get the optimum tax efficient level. Letting the tax tail wag the dog just isn't worth it at times.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You can't just add dividends paid to salary. You have to understand how the dividend tax credit works, and that you are paying net dividends but gross dividends are used to determine your taxable income. Your post shows that you don't understand this, which means you won't understand what your accountant said. So learn it, and then talk to him. But I'm pretty sure you are already into the additional rate band when gross dividends are considered.

It will be simpler to understand next year since the dividend tax credit will be gone.

Comment

And get a new accountant. Your current set up obviously isn't working.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            You can't just add dividends paid to salary. You have to understand how the dividend tax credit works, and that you are paying net dividends but gross dividends are used to determine your taxable income. Your post shows that you don't understand this, which means you won't understand what your accountant said. So learn it, and then talk to him. But I'm pretty sure you are already into the additional rate band when gross dividends are considered.

It will be simpler to understand next year since the dividend tax credit will be gone.
            The OPs link shows the gross divvy of £86.6K meaning a net of £78K

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              The OPs link shows the gross divvy of £86.6K meaning a net of £78K
              So it does. I'm an idiot. I'd edit my post but then no one could see what an idiot I am. Look, everybody!

Comment

HMRC Dividend checks?

Will HMRC start looking closely at the tax returns of director shareholders who receive unusually large dividends in 2015/16 around feb/march time?

Make sure proper paperwork & documents are in place to support the dividend payments just in case HMRC decide to start attacking this area.

Comment

Originally posted by UK Contractor Accountant View Post
                  Will HMRC start looking closely at the tax returns of director shareholders who receive unusually large dividends in 2015/16 around feb/march time?

Make sure proper paperwork & documents are in place to support the dividend payments just in case HMRC decide to start attacking this area.
                  Well they will be looking at mine from previous years.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by UK Contractor Accountant View Post
                    Have you asked your.. Erm.. Err.. Dunno what to say here.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 9 March 2016, 12:25.

Comment

Working...
                    X