• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ways to find a new contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways to find a new contract

Hey everyone,

I am trying to see what's everyone's experience on finding a new contract in London. I've been on the bench for about a month now, and have tried the following methods:
    1) Applying on jobserve, jobsite, indeed
    2) Tailor my CV for every position
    3) Follow up with the agents on the same or next day

Has anyone else tried any other channels? Has anyone tried reaching out via Linkedin or tried using new method of finding a contract?a
    I am trying to see whether I've exhausted all of my options...

Thanks for everyone's contribution in advance

Originally posted by Quiuse View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am trying to see what's everyone's experience on finding a new contract in London. I've been on the bench for about a month now, and have tried the following methods:

Has anyone else tried any other channels? Has anyone tried reaching out via Linkedin or tried using new method of finding a contract?a

Hi – LinkedIn can be useful – do you get LinkedIn job matches?
    One thing that I have found effective is to make a slight change onto your Jobserve CV – slight number change in the content and the document name and to re-upload it every week. This will get onto the pimps screens as an updated CV and be more visible.
    When you see a role on Jobserve what do you do? Just click and wait? For roles I am interested in I wait an hour then call the agent to discuss. No phone number? Look up the company phone number using google.
    How long have you been looking? What is your skillset? Are you currently contracting or a permie looking to jump ship?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      Hi – LinkedIn can be useful – do you get LinkedIn job matches?
      One thing that I have found effective is to make a slight change onto your Jobserve CV – slight number change in the content and the document name and to re-upload it every week. This will get onto the pimps screens as an updated CV and be more visible.
      When you see a role on Jobserve what do you do? Just click and wait? For roles I am interested in I wait an hour then call the agent to discuss. No phone number? Look up the company phone number using google.
      How long have you been looking? What is your skillset? Are you currently contracting or a permie looking to jump ship?
      Hi Wilmslow, thanks a lot for your response. I do upload a new CV every week or so on Jobsite and Jobserve yeah. I've also registered with some good agencies. The ones I like are Experis, Robert Walters, Alexander Mann, Opus Recruitment, TEK Systems. Aston Carter has often good roles, but they never really come back even though CV has been tailored well. When I see a role on Jobserve, I apply and maybe an hour or two hours later I call to follow up. As well as applying via Jobserve, I also send an email directly to the recruiter. My skillset is Business Analyst with both business & technical experience, i have around 4 years of experience. I am only looking for contract roles.
      As for Linkedin i find it is mostly perm roles, rather than contract and even if the role has a contract word in it, when you click on it, it says permanent job type.
      I've been looking for a month now.

Comment

Hey everyone,

Play hard to get, let the gigs find you.

Take this advice and watch the money roll in.

Comment

Hey everyone,

I'm working on new tack, first I'm gonna get good at football, them I'm gonna get friendly with Lionel Messi, then sign for Barcelona for £75,000 a day, scored loads and up my rate after that.

The fact that I'm nearly 55 does not deter me in the least, I'm going to reintroduce the tittylining technique.....

Comment

1. Contact former clients directly - unless you only have 0-1 former clients.
            2. Don't limit yourself to one geographic location - unless you are a permie in disguise.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

Take this advice and watch the JSA payments.
              Ahem.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

Take this advice and watch the money roll in.

Works for NWP2C. Apparently.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Has anyone tried reaching out via Linkedin

Comment

Have you tried going out into the street and offering your services?

Sure fire winner that one.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X