• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Increasing the borrowing facility on my mortgage now that I am a contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasing the borrowing facility on my mortgage now that I am a contractor?

Hi folks,

first post! This year I made the switch to contracting after nine years as a permanent employee. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to contract as a long term option and must admit to being confused about the umbrella company/limited company thing (I still am!). In the end I went through the Parasol umbrella company and am now four months into my first contract.

The thing is, I'm now thinking about buying a house. I currently have a mortgage for a flat I bought six years ago as a permanent employee (the lender is NatWest), and am wondering whether to ask them about increasing my borrowing facility. I don't really want to tell them I'm now a contractor as that may ring alarm bells, but given that I already have the mortgage I'm not sure what they would do. Anyways, my question is:

- Will my new status as a contractor (albeit through an umbrella company) affect the decision of a High Street lender to increase my borrowing facility?

Anyone with similar experiences please chime in. Thanks!

What you don't tell them can't harm them.

Comment

Ask Parasol, I thought their mortgage advice was very helpful. Maybe you could move to a more contractor friendly mortgage?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You are a permanent employee. Of Parasol. So no fibbing needed.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your responses. After reading more threads in the General forum I realised that it isn't really for serious topics, so I'm lucky to get reasonable responses

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
            You are a permanent employee. Of Parasol. So no fibbing needed.
            yup - and they give references as your permanent employer if any one asks. (they do check with you first to make sure that you're happy for the information to be released)
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
            X