• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Direction and Control

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 Direction and Control

Having a challenge – clientco want me to cover company core hours of 8-6 with a graduate assigned to me just a week ago with absolutely no experience and pumped of the company bravado. Contract is to cover hours anytime I like over the week.

If I worked local I would be more amenable to complying, but, I have a pretty bad commute which is why I start and leave early, as per my entitlement under the contract.

Has anyone successfully challenged direction and control? I am wary about the IR35, but the rate is decent, so if it comes to it I could stay in a hotel all week and just suck it up.

Core hours are 8 to 6?

Is this a change of contract? If so, renegotiate new terms and rates.

Comment

If your core hours are a 10 hour day, then negotiate a 50% increase to cover the extra effort.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

TL; DR but am I right in thinking you are unhappy the graduate has D&C over you and is treating you like an employee?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Long hours, long commute, the rate would have to be spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
            Having a challenge – clientco want me to cover company core hours of 8-6 with a graduate assigned to me just a week ago with absolutely no experience and pumped of the company bravado. Contract is to cover hours anytime I like over the week.

If I worked local I would be more amenable to complying, but, I have a pretty bad commute which is why I start and leave early, as per my entitlement under the contract.

Has anyone successfully challenged direction and control? I am wary about the IR35, but the rate is decent, so if it comes to it I could stay in a hotel all week and just suck it up.
            Bloomburg?

Comment

Has anyone successfully challenged direction and control?.
              Of course they have.

Remember a young MF spearheaded such a campaign in the 80's

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                TL; DR but am I right in thinking you are unhappy the graduate has D&C over you and is treating you like an employee?
                No. If you'd read it properly, you'd have seen that the graduate was assigned to him, not the other way round.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  No. If you'd read it properly, you'd have seen that the graduate was assigned to him, not the other way round.
                  Give it 2 weeks and I'll be right.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Keep doing the hours you are now and assign the Grad to cover the hours you are not there. Simples.

If the grad isn't up to it that's their problem not yours. You are not responsible for staff training or making sure they are up to the job.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X