• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pets and bikes on the London Underground

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pets and bikes on the London Underground

Other than the severe tutting you'd get trying to take anything cumbersome on the tube at peak times, are there actually rules about taking your bike and/or pet (in a carry-cage) into the underground?

We're planning to spend some time in my (recently deceased) mother's house in Cornwall over the summer and want to take our cat... our journey by train involves hopping from KGX->PADD. Also, we plan to invite a friend and recommend they bring their bike but similarly they would have to cross London and might have too much stuff (or too little confidence, I wouldn't blame them!) to cycle across.

Don't worry, we'll do it when the trains are quiet... having been the guy trying to take a suitcase and two guitars, I know it's not sensible to do this at rush-hour
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Other than the severe tutting you'd get trying to take anything cumbersome on the tube at peak times, are there actually rules about taking your bike and/or pet (in a carry-cage) into the underground?

We're planning to spend some time in my (recently deceased) mother's house in Cornwall over the summer and want to take our cat... our journey by train involves hopping from KGX->PADD. Also, we plan to invite a friend and recommend they bring their bike but similarly they would have to cross London and might have too much stuff (or too little confidence, I wouldn't blame them!) to cycle across.

Don't worry, we'll do it when the trains are quiet... having been the guy trying to take a suitcase and two guitars, I know it's not sensible to do this at rush-hour
    See Transport for London's Conditions of Carriage points 13.2.1 (bikes) and 16 (animials):

Conditions of Carriage

Comment

That's really helpful, thanks. I'll have to check if Kings Cross to Paddington is in the allowed parts

Comment

You tend to see most things carried on a tube or a train at some point. I wouldn't worry too much.
        However letting your cat loose in Cornwall might prove a challenge if it does the usual thing that cats do and buggers off somewhere better in the last week before you try and go home.

Comment

It's a house cat so I think it'll have enough fun exploring inside More worried about putting it in the guard van on the regular train in case it tulips everwhere.

Comment

Peak-times you might have a problem with the bikes some lines you can't take them on till later in the day if not folding. Pets are no issue though I used to commute in daily with this dude Next stop Barking: The giant dog that's become a hit on London's underground | Daily Mail Online haven't seen him for a few years though now might of died.
            I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
              Peak-times you might have a problem with the bikes some lines you can't take them on till later in the day if not folding. Pets are no issue though I used to commute in daily with this dude Next stop Barking: The giant dog that's become a hit on London's underground | Daily Mail Online haven't seen him for a few years though now might of died.
              I take both my kids (aged one and four) on the train to work each morning. Then again, I'm no where near London.

Comment

It's a house cat so I think it'll have enough fun exploring inside More worried about putting it in the guard van on the regular train in case it tulips everwhere.
                Judging by the photos of cats glaring out of cages one sees on Twitter, people usually take the cat to their seat with them on trains. Obviously a seat at a table is desirable. Putting it up on the luggage rack might give it a better view of what's going on, though.

Comment

I'd quite like to take our cat on the sleeper train

Comment

Just cycle with your pet Rott on the back. When you get runover, release the hound.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X