• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coding Job Requirement: "Demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coding Job Requirement: "Demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences"

Just seen this in a gig email from an agency .. one of the requirements is:
    -Demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences

WTF?
    Does this mean that 'Trump For President' T-shirts are banned ?

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
    Just seen this in a gig email from an agency .. one of the requirements is:
    -Demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences

WTF?
    Does this mean that 'Trump For President' T-shirts are banned ?
    Place is probably full of Bobs...

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      Place is probably full of Bobs...
      It's probably attitudes like that that mean they have to do this in the first place. Maybe they had a bad incident and HR agreed to something like this as part of the settlement?!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

My current client is Japanese; the office has people of every creed, colour, nationality and race in it. Same as every other office in the City I've worked in.

It would seem a bit of a nonsense to put such a clause in a job spec.

Perhaps the regions of the country aren't as diverse.

Comment

I was once jumped on for being intolerant to an offshore person who had 'language deficiencies'.

ie could hardly speak a word of English and I was asking him to build an AIX HACMP cluster, no wonder I was getting wound up....

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post

Perhaps the regions of the country aren't as diverse.

Welcome to Wales!

Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              It's probably attitudes like that that mean they have to do this in the first place. Maybe they had a bad incident and HR agreed to something like this as part of the settlement?!
              Maybe they should be employing UK/EU nationals (of any gender, colour or creed I might add) rather than going for the bargain basement option and expecting the UK teams to bend over backwards to accommodate them. I've worked with a fair few over the years and its wasn't fun.

Comment

Maybe they are all Scandanvian nymphos and they don't want a bloke that's going to get all offended when they make sexual advances in the office.

That or an office full of Bob blokes eating curry, farting, and shouting in Hindi.

It's hard to know which it might be.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  Maybe they should be employing UK/EU nationals (of any gender, colour or creed I might add) rather than going for the bargain basement option and expecting the UK teams to bend over backwards to accommodate them. I've worked with a fair few over the years and its wasn't fun.
                  Being pleasant and polite to people is hardly "bending over backwards". Well, for most people. For many on CUK it really does need to be part of the role spec to weed them out.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Being pleasant and polite to people is hardly "bending over backwards". Well, for most people. For many on CUK it really does need to be part of the role spec to weed them out.
                    Amen to this.

Comment

Working...
                    X