• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax treaty question - Where do I pay tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax treaty question - Where do I pay tax?

I just came to think of something. Since a company is supposed to pay tax in the country where it is resident
    (i.e. where it is managed and controlled from), it shouldn't matter where you incorporate, but where you live.

So for example, I sell to UK, France and Germany. Can I start a company in each of those countries and live in
    Hong Kong, and all corporation taxes on the UK, French and German companies would be payable in Hong Kong only
    at HK local tax rate (16.5%)?

This makes everything so much easier. When doing business in Europe it's hard to do so with a Barbados company for example.
    But if you can have a UK company but live in Barbados, you'd still be paying no tax. Am I right in this?

Same should go for Estonia. Since Estonia has a 0% corporation tax, you could run a UK business from Tallinn and pay no corporation tax?
    Last edited by LordCharles; 12 March 2016, 08:41.

What does your accountant say?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      What does your accountant say?
      I don't know, I don't have one. Do you suggest I hire one full-time so I can ask him questions like this?
      Or do you hire a firm? Do you then pay per question or how does it work?

Comment

Originally posted by LordCharles View Post
        I don't know, I don't have one. Do you suggest I hire one full-time so I can ask him questions like this?
        Or do you hire a firm? Do you then pay per question or how does it work?
        Why don't you explain your question with some context, as it is you just sound like an idiot.
        "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
          Why don't you explain your question with some context, as it is you just sound like an idiot.
          Lord Charles used to be a dummy who was operated by a human.

Charles, who currently does your taxes for you?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yes. The best approach with complex international tax strategies is to seek free advice on an Internet forum rather than seek professional advice. Crack on, what could go wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
              Yes. The best approach with complex international tax strategies is to seek free advice on an Internet forum rather than seek professional advice. Crack on, what could go wrong?
              It's quite a simple and straight forward question so thought perhaps somebody knew. Doesn't mean I would rely on the advice, but it could make for a good starting point for further investigation.

Why even have a forum called "Accounting / Legal" if all accounting questions must be asked to your accountant?

Comment

It's quite a simple and straight forward question so thought perhaps somebody knew. Doesn't mean I would rely on the advice, but it could make for a good starting point for further investigation.

Why even have a forum called "Accounting / Legal" if all accounting questions must be asked to your accountant?
                The accounting questions on here are related to being wholly in the UK tax system this is why the site is called contractoruk

Some of us have contracted or worked abroad so we can answer and direct people to other sources of information in relation to those countries, but no one here is able to answer complex questions about various random tax regimes.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The company will be deemed to likely have a permanent establishment in each of the countries and so be at risk to all the individual country taxes.

The country in which it is incorporated would still consider its position and they would do a whole load of technical examination before they gave up the tax they wanted!

Comment

With respect (yes, really) it's neither quite simple or straightforward. Starbucks, Facebook, Google have a battery farm full of accountants, tax lawyers and other experts all over the world and even they can't get it right.

As Louise stated above regardless of the country of incorporation, many jurisdictions tax profits where they are generated.

And you must have some tax bill if you think opening companies all over the world is going to be tax efficient. Zero (or low) tax jurisdictions typically have really expensive corporate managements structures.

Relax, forget your idea, and pay your tax.

Comment

Working...
                    X