• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interference blocking remote signal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interference blocking remote signal

Yesterday my garage door would not respond to any of the remotes. Opened it manually and found they worked if I was actually in the garage, seemed to be a problem with very restricted range. Today it's all working normally.

I suspect it was being blocked by a signal from something else. Had a similar problem once before when I couldn't open the van door and then noticed the button on my aftermarket alarm fob was stuck down. Also found I could totally block out a digital TV signal with an old analogue sender, used to use it to annoy the missus.

No new gadgets in my house so wondering if a neighbour is using some new device. Anyone else ever had this problem or got any ideas what it might be?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

there you go:

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Is your garage below the master bedroom?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

No new gadgets in my house so wondering if a neighbour is using some new device. Anyone else ever had this problem or got any ideas what it might be?
        Your neighbour may hate you.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Your neighbour may hate you
          He does but he's an un-techy dimwit so don't think it's him.

Something weird just occurred to me. Got a cold call from remote suppliers the previous day and I said I didn't need another of their remotes. Must be coincidence surely.
          bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Is it possible that it works on 2.4Ghz and is being interfered with by a wifi signal? I.e. Someone's got a new router that is strong enough to affect it?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've had similar happen a couple of times.

Garage door won't respond to remote, motorbike alarm won't disable, and WiFi vanishes.
              Last happened this time last year - went for 20+ minutes.

I suspect a neighbour has something that is somewhat faulty in infrequent use - maybe something DIY or garden related?

Or it's Zeity on a passing visit...............

Comment

Seems my other neighbour had the same problem with his garage door. Space aliens I reckon.
                bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Seems my other neighbour had the same problem with his garage door. Space aliens I reckon.
                  So your other neighbour hates you both...
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Garage Door Openers Stop Working On Entire Missouri Block « CBS St. Louis

Comment

Working...
                    X