• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And now for something completely different...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now for something completely different...

The BBC mentions something good with 'England' in the story, and no mention of how immigrants contribute to the economy.

Shame it was relegated to 'Hampshire local news'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/6072534.stm

Naval event celebrates Trafalgar

A wreath is laid every year on the spot where Nelson was wounded

A ceremony has been held in Portsmouth to mark the 201st anniversary of Lord Nelson's victory at Trafalgar.

A wreath was laid at Portsmouth Naval Base on the spot where Nelson was fatally wounded onboard HMS Victory.

The low-key event follows last year's Trafalgar 200 celebrations which included a fleet review by the Queen and a spectacular fireworks display.

The defeat of the French and Spanish navies at Trafalgar in 1805 is regarded as a turning point in European history.

The hoisting of the Colours (union jack and ensign) and Nelson's signal, "England Expects" on the Victory marked the start of the commemoration.

A team of 32 ratings and cadets from HMS Victory, HMS Collingwood and Training Ship (TS) Victory hoisted the 33 flags in sequence on Victory's three masts.

The wreath was laid by Second Sea Lord Vice Admiral Adrian Johns on Saturday morning.

After the ceremony he said: "We had a minute's silence on board. We cast a thought for Nelson and all those who fell with him 201 years ago but our thoughts were also with those who die today.

"This week we have a marine very tragically killed, Gary Wright, of 45 Commando Royal Marines, and it's right that we remember him in our thoughts and prayers.

"I think heritage is so important. It's not just looking back at dusty history, it's looking back and understanding the responsibility we have today. We need to pass it on to our successors for the future."

----

For once, that was not a quote by a 'community leader'. How refreshing...
    Vieze Oude Man

Defeating other european powers maybe, although in my view being a nationalist and believing a nation should have its own culture is not consistent with celebration of much of our past. What we did to others in the name of the glorious empire and what is being done to our nation now are two sides of the same coin, profit and glory for those at the top at the expense of the rest.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Don't be a spoilsport xog! What is culture if it doesn't include history? Being pretty good at wars is part of what made us what we are!

The world is an endlessly competitive place. For a little island off Europe to achieve what we have, not just in wars, is incredible.

Comment

Bremner Bird & Fortune

Last night - a message to North Korea how to be a civilised country - classic.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
        X