• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why does the UK tax year start on 6 April each year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does the UK tax year start on 6 April each year?

Why does the UK tax year start on 6 April each year? Found this cool (probably true) story -

"In typical style, the Treasury was concerned to ensure there would be no loss of tax revenue and no concession to the populous and so it decided that the tax year should remain as 365 days. And so the beginning of the following tax year was moved from 25 March to 5 April and everyone was happy, kind of."

Source: Why does the UK tax year start on 6 April each year? « Tax Advisory Partnership

I blame the immigrants.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Why does the UK tax year start on 6 April each year? Found this cool (probably true) story -

"In typical style, the Treasury was concerned to ensure there would be no loss of tax revenue and no concession to the populous and so it decided that the tax year should remain as 365 days. And so the beginning of the following tax year was moved from 25 March to 5 April and everyone was happy, kind of."

Source: Why does the UK tax year start on 6 April each year? « Tax Advisory Partnership

I seem to remember reading that Pitt the Elder, or Pitt the Younger, or even Pitt the Foetus or Pitt the Glint in the Milkman's Eye, introduced Income Tax as a temporary measure to fund the Napoleonic Wars with an assurance it would be repealed after the Wars.

Think they forgot the last bit.

Comment

as usual it was all caused by Religion
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's a pity Spanish Inquisition did not get 'em ...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I seem to remember reading that Pitt the Elder, or Pitt the Younger, or even Pitt the Foetus or Pitt the Glint in the Milkman's Eye, introduced Income Tax as a temporary measure to fund the Napoleonic Wars with an assurance it would be repealed after the Wars.

Think they forgot the last bit.
            Bit right...

Income tax was announced in Britain by William Pitt the Younger in his budget of December 1798 and introduced in 1799, to pay for weapons and equipment in preparation for the Napoleonic Wars. Pitt's new graduated (progressive) income tax began at a levy of 2 old pence in the pound (1/120) on incomes over £60 (£5,641 as of 2016), and increased up to a maximum of 2 shillings (10%) on incomes of over £200. Pitt hoped that the new income tax would raise £10 million, but actual receipts for 1799 totalled just over £6 million.

Comment

Have you asked your accountant?
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Have you asked your accountant?
                I did ... he did not know

Comment

I did ... he did not know
                  Get a better one then!
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Get a better one then!
                    He's been working for me more years than the last one got sentenced to

Comment

Working...
                    X