• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US 'arrogant and stupid' in Iraq

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr Fernandez said failure in Iraq would be a regional disaster
    A senior US state department official has said that the US has shown "arrogance and stupidity" in Iraq.

Alberto Fernandez told al-Jazeera TV the US was now willing to talk to any insurgent group apart from al-Qaeda in Iraq, to reduce sectarian bloodshed. (AtW: the only problem is that now the tables are turned, so why would they want to talk to you now? Should have done it last year! )

His remarks came after President George W Bush discussed changing tactics with top military commanders.

A report that officials are drawing up a timetable for Iraq's government to improve security has been denied.

The New York Times reported that the Bush administration was preparing a timetable for the government to meet objectives - including disarming sectarian militias - that would stabilise the country and allow US troops to take a reduced role.

I think there is great room for strong criticism, because without doubt, there was arrogance and stupidity by the United States in Iraq
    Alberto Fernandez

The plan is "to get the Iraqis to step up to the plate", the newspaper cited a senior administration official as saying. "We can't be there for ever," the official added.

But White House spokeswoman Nicole Guillemard denied the report. "The story is not accurate, but we are constantly developing new tactics to achieve our goal," she said.

Meanwhile, British Foreign Office Minister Kim Howells, in an interview with the BBC, has suggested that the Iraqi security forces could take over much of the work of US-led forces within a year.

'Regional disaster'

Mr Fernandez, an Arabic speaker who is director of public diplomacy in the state department's Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs, told Qatar-based al-Jazeera that the world was "witnessing failure in Iraq".

"That's not the failure of the United States alone, but it is a disaster for the region," he said.

"I think there is great room for strong criticism, because without doubt, there was arrogance and stupidity by the United States in Iraq."

On talks with insurgent groups, he said: "We are open to dialogue because we all know that, at the end of the day, the solution to the hell and the killings in Iraq is linked to an effective Iraqi national reconciliation."

'Goal is victory'

Mr Fernandez's comments came after Mr Bush said in his weekly radio address that US troops were changing tactics to deal with the insurgency.

"Our goal in Iraq is clear and unchanging," he said. "Our goal is victory. What is changing are the tactics we use to achieve that goal."

He later held a teleconference call with senior military commanders, as violence continued in Iraq.

Saturday saw 17 people killed in a mortar attack on a market near the capital, Baghdad, while three US marines were killed in Anbar province, bringing the total number of US troops killed in Iraq in October to 78.

The BBC's James Westhead in Washington says that while there is no official change in US strategy, change is on everyone's lips.

A new poll weeks before key Congressional elections shows two-thirds of Americans believe the US is losing the war in Iraq.

--------

Not sure that such talks will help now - this may have worked last year, definately 2 years ago, but now it is unlikely.

What a bunch of tree hugger losers.

Surely the solution is to reinvade ?

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
      What a bunch of tree hugger losers.

Surely the solution is to reinvade ?

Mailman

The solution is to take of and nuke them from space. It's the only way to be sure!
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

As an aside...

Something I'd never realised or heard of before was that US & Iran actually went to war(ish) with each other during Operation Praying Mantis in the 1980's

If only the US had finished the job then
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
          As an aside...

Something I'd never realised or heard of before was that US & Iran actually went to war(ish) with each other during Operation Praying Mantis in the 1980's

If only the US had finished the job then
          The US employed Saddam as their proxy and Saudi Arabia to payroll that war.

Which was another fine mess.

Comment

I think they should send Chico in single-handed. I can feel a crap film coming on.

Chico, The Lone Crusader.
            Alone, he conquered Iraq.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Aznar is gone, Berlusconi is gone, Blair has gone and now.......Bush must go!

On Monday, October 2nd, more than six hundred people packed into Cooper Union’s Great Hall, New York, for a meeting held by World Can’t Wait http://wwwworldcantwait.org, to respond to Bush’s new torture legislation and to mobilize for nation-wide protest on October 5th to Drive Out the Bush Regime.

Craig was one one of several speakers that also included Alice Walker, Mark Ruffalo, Olympia Dukakis, Daniel Ellsberg, Boots Riley, Malachy McCourt, Bill Goodman, Reno, Elmaz Abinader, and a special message from Sean Penn.

Craig Murray said

"They revoke our civil rights and patronize Muslims as non-humans so that when they arrest and torture humans we accept this, so that when they tell us habeas corpus is gone we will accept this, so that when they invade Muslim countries to get their oil and gas we will accept this…we are not accepting it anymore! It is the anti-war movement in the United Kingdom that has caused Tony Blair to have to leave office. The architects of this crusade are being driven out. Aznar is gone, Berlusconi is gone, Blair has gone and now Bush must go!"
              Click http://www.worldcantwait.net/av/10-2/craigmurray.mp3 to hear Craig's speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambros
                On Monday, October 2nd, more than six hundred people packed into Cooper Union’s Great Hall, New York, for a meeting held by World Can’t Wait http://wwwworldcantwait.org, to respond to Bush’s new torture legislation and to mobilize for nation-wide protest on October 5th to Drive Out the Bush Regime.

Craig was one one of several speakers that also included Alice Walker, Mark Ruffalo, Olympia Dukakis, Daniel Ellsberg, Boots Riley, Malachy McCourt, Bill Goodman, Reno, Elmaz Abinader, and a special message from Sean Penn.

Craig Murray said

Click http://www.worldcantwait.net/av/10-2/craigmurray.mp3 to hear Craig's speech.
                are'nt you that stupid racist cypriot that toadies up to one of the many brutal regimes accross the world.

Comment

What do you mean, "in Iraq"?

Comment

Originally posted by Forumbore
                    are'nt you that stupid racist cypriot that toadies up to one of the many brutal regimes accross the world.
                    What the hell are you on there Forumbore???

I was supporting ATW's title 'US 'arrogant and stupid' in Iraq' and I thought he would like to listen to what Craig Murray a former British Ambassador had to say.

I am certainly not a racist nor do I support brutal regimes across the world. I am not even a Cypriot because I was born in Cheltenham. I have a Greek name because my parents are Greek and it is tradition in Greek families for the first son to be named after his paternal grandfather. Therefore my name Lambros Lambrou will go on and on for generations to come.

Comment

Working...
                    X