• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The death of Public Sector contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The death of Public Sector contracting

Doesn't anybody care?

I have to wonder that anything prescribed there is only going to come to the rest of us at some point....

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
    Doesn't anybody care?

I have to wonder that anything prescribed there is only going to come to the rest of us at some point....
    Holding fire until we see the reality tomorrow.

The demise of PS contracting has been forecast for years but it's still kicking.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Its pretty grim at the moment I have to admit, 16yrs I have played the contractor game, lets see what today brings, but like coal miners we may well have had our day.

Comment

If only it were the death of the public sector. Or at least, a lot of it. Start by getting rid of 10-15 ministers, a couple hundred MPs and their staffs, and go on from there.

Instead of killing public sector contracting, try contracting the public sector. That will do more to make Georgie's numbers add up than anything they can do to contractors.

Comment

Don't see what difference today is going to make to PS contracting other than formalise what seems to be happening anyway.

I've backed out of roles both at the Hydrographic Office in Taunton and the Intellecual Property Office in Newport because there's a requirement to sign a declaration stating that youre paying PAYE & NICs.

I suppose they could take it further today by putting the onus on the agency to deduct PAYE & NICS at source for PS contracts though, in my experience, everything seems to go through Crapita these days so the onus would fall on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillingham Jilly View Post
            I've backed out of roles both at the Hydrographic Office in Taunton and the Intellecual Property Office in Newport because there's a requirement to sign a declaration stating that youre paying PAYE & NICs.
            Do you not pay a salary?

When I've seen things like this, it's been an agreement that you are paying the correct level of tax - which I always am, because for the vast majority of contracts I operate outside IR35.

Where this could change today is to push the assessment of status onto the client rather than the individual - which introduces confusion and more bureaucracy for the client. When the government did a review in 2014, they found that 94% of "PSCs" were operating correctly within the public sector.

If the government is intent on pushing this onto the public sector client then there is a danger (likelihood?) that the client will either (a) force everyone inside IR35 because it's easier for them; or (b) engage consultancies (who may, in turn engage contractors). Both of these will increase the cost to the government and therefore the taxpayer.

It also goes somewhat against the guidance from HMRC at the last IR35 forum, when they confirmed that there would be no change to IR35 until 2017 at the earliest.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Do you not pay a salary?

When I've seen things like this, it's been an agreement that you are paying the correct level of tax - which I always am, because for the vast majority of contracts I operate outside IR35.

Where this could change today is to push the assessment of status onto the client rather than the individual - which introduces confusion and more bureaucracy for the client. When the government did a review in 2014, they found that 94% of "PSCs" were operating correctly within the public sector.

If the government is intent on pushing this onto the public sector client then there is a danger (likelihood?) that the client will either (a) force everyone inside IR35 because it's easier for them; or (b) engage consultancies (who may, in turn engage contractors). Both of these will increase the cost to the government and therefore the taxpayer.

It also goes somewhat against the guidance from HMRC at the last IR35 forum, when they confirmed that there would be no change to IR35 until 2017 at the earliest.
              This is not a change to ir35 this is a change in public sector employment practices. Granted it's really just semantics to avoid being called out but that's one thing government departments are good at
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It wouldn't come in until 2017 thought would it?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
                  It wouldn't come in until 2017 thought would it?
                  Unless it comes in from April.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No change to legislation, wasn't it? A lot can be done to make life difficult without a change to legislation.

Comment

Working...
                    X