• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stick or Twist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick or Twist

I have a few months left on my contract and they are taking about extension, however this work will be on a old legacy system not in my main dev lang.

Pro's of staying
    Good rate
    Not much pressure
    Short day
    Not bad commute

Cons
    Lot's of process
    Have to do everything myself (PM, BA etc)
    Will be working in old legacy system in different lang
    Zero eye candy in the office

Thoughts?

My thoughts as its purely your choice as it's down to personal circumstances it good on you for asking a load of strangers.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Leave and find a job with MF.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        My thoughts as its purely your choice as it's down to personal circumstances it good on you for asking a load of strangers.
        Well this a contracting forum so maybe some might have been in a similar position?

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
          I have a few months left on my contract and they are taking about extension, however this work will be on a old legacy system not in my main dev lang.

Pro's of staying
          Good rate
          Not much pressure
          Short day
          Not bad commute

Cons
          Lot's of process
          Have to do everything myself (PM, BA etc)
          Will be working in old legacy system in different lang
          Zero eye candy in the office

Thoughts?
          Pros:
          It's work

Cons:
          It's work that may be taking you away from what you want to do. Bottom line is that you're a contractor so have far less control over what parts of your skill set you get to use.

The contract market is getting crapper all the time; perhaps move into perm if you want more control over what skillset gets used.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You're close to retirement aren't you?

In which case, stick to your current contract.

BTW "Have to do everything myself (PM, BA etc)" should be a pro not a con, unless you enjoy being managed by a client and being at further risk of falling foul of IR35.

"Zero eye candy in the office" is an irrelevant argument because this is the norm in IT. You should see where I contract

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              You're close to retirement aren't you?

In which case, stick to your current contract.

BTW "Have to do everything myself (PM, BA etc)" should be a pro not a con, unless you enjoy being managed by a client and being at further risk of falling foul of IR35.

"Zero eye candy in the office" is an irrelevant argument because this is the norm in IT. You should see where I contract
              No I'm not close to retirement.

I think I will stay and milk this one for a few years and build the warchest up.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                No I'm not close to retirement.

I think I will stay and milk this one for a few years and build the warchest up.
                That was the original problem, wasn't it?

Comment

Only you can decide however in my opinion it's sometimes better to get out before you get too soft.

I've known a few guys stuck in contracts too long who took the easy money and then got screwed when they had to start looking around.

That or make sure you spend the time keeping up to date in a meaningful manner.

Comment

work to live! not the other way round.

As above low pressure self management is a big plus.

Is what you are doing interesting to others? While you might see it as not your main devlanguage how do clients see it? If you are enhancing XYZ to create £++++ revenue I doubt most will care what you coded in. If there isn't much going on you could knock up some extensions in your favourite language to keep your hand in? Maybe for another customer?

My Brother stopped contracting earlier this year because his plan B became plan A, it was based on a small project he did for a side customer.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X