• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I want to understand technical side of IT Project Management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to understand technical side of IT Project Management

I am working as IT junior PM/project support, have PRINCE2 and Scrum Master certifications, but always feel that lack of technical understanding holds me back.

I would like to understand technical side of software development - environments, technical cycle etc.

Can anyone recommend good books / courses?

Originally posted by squirrel99 View Post
    I am working as IT junior PM/project support, have PRINCE2 and Scrum Master certifications, but always feel that lack of technical understanding holds me back.

I would like to understand technical side of software development - environments, technical cycle etc.

Can anyone recommend good books / courses?
    I can see also that you don't have PM's experience, probably only certifications.
    Do you have at least Computer Science Engineer course?

Comment

In my experience of working with the output from projects and PM's there is a lot wrong with this situation.....

Firstly, there is a difference between PMO and PMing. Both have completely different skills, inputs, outputs yadda yadda. I don't like to see people who think they can PMO and PM. It's highly likely they either can't do either very well or they are applying a bit of artistic licence in a (failed) effort to make themselves look more skilled. The quality of the PMO can make or break a project and a high quality PMO is a very useful thing to have. Same for PM. I don't believe in larger complex environments these can ever be the same person or have interchangeable skills.

Secondly, PM's thinking they need tech skills is why there are so few truly skilled PM's out there. PM'ing has it's own set of required skills, things like planning, managing risk and so on. Techie skills are not generally a requirement of the role. There are far too many failed techies or middle managers that think they can PM because they have a qualification and experience in Ops.

I'd say pick an area, PMO or PM and then learn to do that. Get the core skills for the job nailed first before picking on fringe skills to add to your offering.

Surely contracting is going to be very difficult for you in your situation? You don't have a solid set of core skills to offer a client, more a bit of everything but nothing?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        In my experience of working with the output from projects and PM's there is a lot wrong with this situation.....

Firstly, there is a difference between PMO and PMing. Both have completely different skills, inputs, outputs yadda yadda. I don't like to see people who think they can PMO and PM. It's highly likely they either can't do either very well or they are applying a bit of artistic licence in a (failed) effort to make themselves look more skilled. The quality of the PMO can make or break a project and a high quality PMO is a very useful thing to have. Same for PM. I don't believe in larger complex environments these can ever be the same person or have interchangeable skills.

Secondly, PM's thinking they need tech skills is why there are so few truly skilled PM's out there. PM'ing has it's own set of required skills, things like planning, managing risk and so on. Techie skills are not generally a requirement of the role. There are far too many failed techies or middle managers that think they can PM because they have a qualification and experience in Ops.

I'd say pick an area, PMO or PM and then learn to do that. Get the core skills for the job nailed first before picking on fringe skills to add to your offering.

Surely contracting is going to be very difficult for you in your situation? You don't have a solid set of core skills to offer a client, more a bit of everything but nothing?
        Thank you NLUK, that's really helpful.

My experience is mixed between PMO and PM (support). PMO responsibilities are more clear to me, but I am leaning towards PM as a goal. I time to time get a chance to lead on specific deliverable of a project, but I often feel not clear about technical processes. Everyone tells you don't need to know all the technical stuff to be a good PM - but I think it would help me to feel more competent.

I am contracting for 6 months only (1st contract), but had a lot of interest from recruiters over that time. It seems to me that competition may be not that high for positions at this level. Skills that I offer are enough to support PMs or PMO without someone coaching me on what to do/how.

I had 3 offers to work as a permie 6 months ago, so I think I will have options if I can't find a new contract after this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
          I can see also that you don't have PM's experience, probably only certifications.
          Do you have at least Computer Science Engineer course?
          Thank you for a reply. Yes, I am not a PM yet, but I want to be. I am trying to get more responsibility in any job I do, study on my free time etc. I know I will make it - everyone started somewhere.

Computer Science Engineer course - it this like a degree or part-time course?

Comment

Thank you NLUK, that's really helpful.

My experience is mixed between PMO and PM (support). PMO responsibilities are more clear to me, but I am leaning towards PM as a goal. I time to time get a chance to lead on specific deliverable of a project, but I often feel not clear about technical processes. Everyone tells you don't need to know all the technical stuff to be a good PM - but I think it would help me to feel more competent.
            But you can't change and skill up like this in contracting. You'll not get the chance. There are too many experience guys out there. You can't just flail about and pick stuff you 'might' be able to do contracting.

I am contracting for 6 months only (1st contract), but had a lot of interest from recruiters over that time. It seems to me that competition may be not that high for positions at this level. Skills that I offer are enough to support PMs or PMO without someone coaching me on what to do/how.

I had 3 offers to work as a permie 6 months ago, so I think I will have options if I can't find a new contract after this one.
            Everyone has 'interest' from recruiters. It doesn't mean anything. I get interest from recruiters about Electrical Engineering roles even though I haven't had that experience or qualifications on my CV for over 10 years. God knows where they get it from.

Don't kid yourself that there is no competition for low level, fairly underskilled roles in contracting. You couldn't be more wrong. People with no skills or experience are drawn to contracting because of the money as they are not in a position to earn anything like that permie. They'll come in, earn a bit, spend more time on the bench, get in to all sorts of trouble and eventually go back perm to try and learn a skill.

You are taken on by clients because you offer them something they do not have. People with a bit of experience in a little bit of nothing is not adding value to a client. You need to have years of a clear and demonstrable skills because if you don't someone else will. Anyone can get the odd contract here and there, not everyone can get end to end gigs and make a career of it.

I think you have some very hard decisions to make. The second gig is always the hardest one and if you skills are getting diluted because you are taking anything then the 3rd, 4th and so on aren't going to be easy.

IMO go back to perm, learn a saleable skillset and come back to contracting more confident and commanding better rates.

Comment

But you can't change and skill up like this in contracting. You'll not get the chance. There are too many experience guys out there. You can't just flail about and pick stuff you 'might' be able to do contracting.

Everyone has 'interest' from recruiters. It doesn't mean anything. I get interest from recruiters about Electrical Engineering roles even though I haven't had that experience or qualifications on my CV for over 10 years. God knows where they get it from.

Don't kid yourself that there is no competition for low level, fairly underskilled roles in contracting. You couldn't be more wrong. People with no skills or experience are drawn to contracting because of the money as they are not in a position to earn anything like that permie. They'll come in, earn a bit, spend more time on the bench, get in to all sorts of trouble and eventually go back perm to try and learn a skill.

You are taken on by clients because you offer them something they do not have. People with a bit of experience in a little bit of nothing is not adding value to a client. You need to have years of a clear and demonstrable skills because if you don't someone else will. Anyone can get the odd contract here and there, not everyone can get end to end gigs and make a career of it.

I think you have some very hard decisions to make. The second gig is always the hardest one and if you skills are getting diluted because you are taking anything then the 3rd, 4th and so on aren't going to be easy.

IMO go back to perm, learn a saleable skillset and come back to contracting more confident and commanding better rates.
              I get what you say and it all makes sense. I realise I might end up on the bench any time and I will then go back to perm if I have to. I don't want to do it now as I have an extension for another 6 months + an interview for a contract of 12 months.

I realise contracting is not a career, but there should be things I can learn in a mean time?

After 1 year in my perm job I was fed up - there were not many opportunities to learn anything even though I worked at a university and always showed initiative. I figured I would learn more from multiple contracts than sitting in that boring job for another few years to maybe get slight promotion.

Comment

I get what you say and it all makes sense. I realise I might end up on the bench any time and I will then go back to perm if I have to. I don't want to do it now as I have an extension for another 6 months + an interview for a contract of 12 months.

I realise contracting is not a career, but there should be things I can learn in a mean time?

After 1 year in my perm job I was fed up - there were not many opportunities to learn anything even though I worked at a university and always showed initiative. I figured I would learn more from multiple contracts than sitting in that boring job for another few years to maybe get slight promotion.
                Well that's up to you to change. There is opportunity there for those that want it. Might not be at the place you are at but it's there. How does anyone get skilled up if it wasn't.

I believe there is a certain naivety in your thinking reading this thread but if it's working for you go for it.

Comment

As a PM or PMO you need to learn skills to do that role well. You don't need technical skills, you need skills to manage projects.

So be proactive. Learn a new skill yourself and then practise it in your next contract.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well that's up to you to change. There is opportunity there for those that want it. Might not be at the place you are at but it's there. How does anyone get skilled up if it wasn't.

I believe there is a certain naivety in your thinking reading this thread but if it's working for you go for it.
                    I am sure you are right NLUK and thanks for your comments - a lot of things to think about and I will do.

Comment

Working...
                    X