• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview etiquette

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview etiquette

Well, interesting situation at current clientco – they have halved my contract from 6 to 3 months, and I am two months in, with just the final four weeks to go.

So, I owe them nothing, I have been taken for a mug – currently training up boy wonder the graduate to take over my role. (Handover meeting was fun today, blew his brains out). Graduates used to just comply, now they insist on context to everything....

Given the 2017 taxation changes that are likely to impact us, and the desire to stay relatively local if I can, there is a local permie role that I have been approached about, which is a really good match for me – if I factor in the tax and expenses, I am pretty much even.

Now, would you ask to work from home for a personal appointment, cap in hand to ask for time off to make clientco feel like they have an option, or just say that yourco is shutting up shop for a day? The permies work from home whenever they feel like it.

Either work for home and do the hours as suits you, or take the day off and enjoy the sunshine.

Good luck.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

[QUOTE=Wilmslow;2225012The permies work from home whenever they feel like it.[/QUOTE]

Should be the other way round.

Comment

If you have been given notice then it's expected that there needs to be some flexibility.

In that situation I just tell the truth that I have interviews to go to. Either that or make up some tulip about a dentist visit.

Billing a day working at home and then being off-site for the day doesn't sit right for me. At the very least I'd offer to work from home for a portion of the time that I can.

Comment

WTFS, plus i wouldn't train a replacement, unless i get paid for training. Handover/knowledge transfer shouldn't be confused with training, completely different.

Comment

Rule one, make sure your willy isn't hanging out.

Here endeth the lesson

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              WTFS, plus i wouldn't train a replacement, unless i get paid for training. Handover/knowledge transfer shouldn't be confused with training, completely different.
              Agree. Why would you train someone who could become a competitor? Business specific hand-over - OK, training - not OK.

Comment

A few years back I was in the same situation. Asked to train a clueless perm in the job, yes it involved a lot of technical training. Few months later he shat himself and disappeared, client called me back with a nice bump in my rate.

End of the day, you are getting paid to do a job. If that means training someone up, suck it up and do it. Anything else is just job protectionism and that's what permies do. I'm confident in my skills that I have no problems giving people technical knowledge. There's more to this job than technical know-how.

Comment

if the role didn't include training up its hardly reasonable to expect you to train your replacement.

Take a half day & work from home the rest.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
                    Billing a day working at home and then being off-site for the day doesn't sit right for me. ...
                    Well I suppose it is OK if your tasks aren't time critical and you've made up the hours at the weekend by the time you invoice.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X