• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would anyone recommend their accountant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would anyone recommend their accountant?

After many years I am looking for a new accountant. Mine doesn't help with even the most basic questions.

There is a thread at the top of this forum with accountant recommendations. The first post is out of date but lots of recent discussion at the end.

But.. Seems you ask.. I would recommend Gorilla Accountants. Ex SJD staff so very used to dealing with contractors, they offer Freeagent which is a great tool. Plenty of communication and always there on the phone or on the chat on their website. Not really happy with many things in life but their service is fine.

Other recommendations you'll get are InTouch, possibly SJD and I believe there are still some happy Nixon Williams people around but the latter two appear to be getting a bit expensive.

I think SJD still has a spreadsheet and the other two have their own portals.

There are a couple of accountants that post great advice on here as well I'd think about if I needed one. Am sure they will give shameless client grabbing wave tomorrow when they are back in. (part timers)
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 March 2016, 14:55. Reason: URL removed
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I guess you'll want to know when the best time to switch accountants is so I've copied a long thread this was discussed in recently. IMO if they aren't giving you the service you want I'd say immediately but if you can suffer it out there may be a better time..

Thread is here...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...recommend.html
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        There are a couple of accountants that post great advice on here as well I'd think about if I needed one. Am sure they will give shameless client grabbing wave tomorrow when they are back in. (part timers)
        I doubt that would happen [emoji112]🏼

Comment

Originally posted by Lozza View Post
          After many years I am looking for a new accountant. Mine doesn't help with even the most basic questions.
          Yes - InTouch.

Tell them I sent you their way
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Lozza View Post
            I'm in the same boat, come to think of it, I should have moved years ago. I certainly will not be recommending my current accountant. Take a look around here and IMO, preferably choose a FreeAgent accountant. That's what I'm doing if I land a new contract.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Other recommendations you'll get are InTouch, possibly SJD and I believe there are still some happy Nixon Williams people around but the latter two appear to be getting a bit expensive.
              SJD charge £120 per month, InTouch £98 per month and Nixon Williams £95 per month, so it is the former two who are more expensive.

With regards to Gorilla, the ex SJD staff do not appear very experienced.
              "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Happy with Nixon Williams £95+vat

Comment

I'm using CKS accounting in Essex

Chartered status, £108 per month inc & recommended - wanted to avoid the big firms as too impersonal
                  Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 March 2016, 14:56. Reason: URL Removed
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                    With regards to Gorilla, the ex SJD staff do not appear very experienced.

Evidence?

Mine @ Gorilla is ACCA qualified and the service I get is second to none.
                    Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Working...
                    X