• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are being watched...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are being watched...

Digital Footprints: how social media can affect your job prospects
    In one survey, it was revealed that “47% of employers check social networking sites to screen prospective employees immediately after receiving their job application” with “Facebook checked by 76% of employers, followed by Twitter (53%) and LinkedIn (48%)”. It’s not all bad news, some “68% of employers have hired a candidate because of something they saw about them on a social networking site” but it’s still risky to assume your social media is in line with what the employer wants.

With this in mind, it’s worth thinking about what sort of image your social media profiles create. Whilst the odd swear word, poor bit of spelling or drunken photo of you at University won’t phase anyone (employers recognise that you’ve got a personality!), you need to bear in mind the consistent pattern your profile generates. If it’s mostly posts about your cat, you’re fine. But some employers will be turned off profiles that use excessive swearing, posts during work hours, controversial strong opinions or personal attacks.
    You have been warned, watch yourselves!

They don't check my social networks, I don't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
      They don't check my social networks, I don't have it.
      They check CUK though.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        They check CUK though.

Comment

If I was thinking of recruiting someone for a security position and was able to find out significant information about them on Facebook, I'd probably decide not to bother.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

and todays No Tulip Sherlock award goes too..................

Dimprawn!!
            For searching the inter-web to find a link to the bleeding obvious!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              They can't check Facebook if you don't share anything. They can check LinkedIn all they like.

Comment

Working...
              X