• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contractorumbrella.com - any good? Recommended brollies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contractorumbrella.com - any good? Recommended brollies?

I'm looking for an umbrella company and came across www.contractorumbrella.com: I'd like to know if I should avoid them like the plague but I can't find any mention of them on here.

Has anybody any experience with them ..?

Yep! No problems at all.

Comment

Brolly

I have used Parasol for the last three years now and had no probs; not heard of any probs with Contractorbrolly either.

Comment

Re: Brolly

I've been using ContractorUmbrella for 6 mths now. A few small hick-ups but overall I'm very pleased with the service.

The online timesheet is a bit basic. If you have a lot of expenses to claim it can take some time to complete.

The email-only support service is actually quite effective (they do respond v quickly to messages).

I'd recommend them.

Comment

Are there any IR35 implications in working with contractorumbrella? Are they IR35 friendly?

Comment

They pay a salary not divs so IR35 is not an issue.

Comment

As I understood it Zeit and no doubt you will correct me when I am wrong but the contract puts you inside or outside IR35 and that determines how you are paid???

Comment

Well, I am not entirely sure but I think we are in agreement there Zeit

Comment

uncertainty over IR35 and expenses can arise where the expense is an item that would be deductible within the accounts of a company (or any self employed bod) whereas the same expense would not be deductible in the hands of an employee making a claim for expenses against paye earnings.

Distant bells may ring when I mention the old difference between the employer's "wholly and exclusively" in the course of the trade or vocation as against the employee's "wholly, exclusively AND necessarily" in the course of the duties of the employment.

Anyone can have lots of fun googling the difference.

IR35 allows 5% for the "employer's" type expenses whereas makes no limit for the employee's.

So what? So if an expense is not also necessary to the performance of the duties there is a possible issue.

My purpose in writing the above is to illustrate how it is possible for both situations to exist. Generally there is zero problem, but to say there will NEVER be a problem is a case of "never say never". To be pragmatic I can't see an umbrella denying expense claims on the basis of a lack of necessity - not good for business, so how would one ever know? (Answers on a postage stamp). They might have an approved list, that would be protective.

Probably.

Anthony

Comment

Working...
                  X