• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Market Prospects Good?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market Prospects Good?

There was a long running post about a summer lull and there did seem to be a late summer / slow Autumn in IMO

Had a few weeks on the bench and then found a contract for 6 months in City which has just been extended another 9 months with 20% rate increase and just passed my 10 year anniversary contracting.

Contracting is not all doom and gloom - going contracting was the best thing I ever did; for me and for my family.

I enjoy the work I do and always have done, have only had a few short term 6 month contracts (most have been a few years), worked on some really interesting projects and clients and still feel that there is still lots to learn.

I look at mates in senior positions in the non IT world doing "extreme" jobs, answering emails on holidays, often trapped in their industry / job role whereas for us lucky few we can still earn good money, move to different industries and the nature of our work means that after a few years you're ready to move on to another challenge / another contract.

As ever if you look hard enough you can see clouds on the horizon but employers will always want good quality, professional contractors focused on the job in hand without the hassle of appraisals, HR processes and politicking.

So is there a point to this thread?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've just passed my tenth anniversary since I started contracting too and agree it has given me some great experiences. Have to be honest though, I think the future looks a bit bleak for the contracting industry. Have a bad feeling that HMRC will be gunning for the Ltd and umbrella users as soon as they have finished shafting the loan scheme users. Hopefully I'm wrong, but with all this retro legislation who knows what they can come up with next. That said, i'll stick with it regardless, inside IR35 beats permie. After four years togethor the Mrs has even given up nagging me to get a full time job!

Comment

Good luck to you OP make the most of it but it will not last there is so much market contraction happening in London especially for IT roles due to globalisation/outsourcing/downsizing. Most bubbles burst eventually IT is just being more stubborn about it! You did not mention what you do I presume developer/project manager/BA??

Comment

London market is getting smaller for contractors? Really?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just approaching the 10th anniversary. I think it is hard to generalise about whether perm or contract is better. I have had some excellent perm jobs, and one terrible one. Same with contracts. A good company with good managers will make any contract or perm job a pleasure.

The contracting market will always be there I think. Sort term expertise will always be needed, whatever the terms of engagement. Movement of labour might be an increasing challenge and will tend to suppress rates. Same for permies.

Comment

This thread is just crewing the cud so I've moved it to General.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It's another humblebrag thread, and as such performs a serious function!

Comment

Well it can do it in General.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    So is there a point to this thread?
                    I think it says "Boomed!"

Comment

Working...
                    X