• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Correct way to make a cup of tea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion on R4 this morning seems to suggest:

Porcelain cup (retains the heat better)
    Boiling water (70 - 80c for green tea, 80-90c for black tea)
    Milk to go in last (to avoid cooling the water down)
    No sugar
    And under no circumstances should the bag be left in to brew it stronger (I am looking at you Northern Rail)

Biscuits are optional
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

And?

The only reason milk was ever poured in first is the material some cups were made out of cracked if they got too hot.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Extra strong builder brew, fours sugars and splash of milk please

Strong English Breakfast - 80 Tea Bags | Twinings | Twinings

Comment

I cannot believe that a discussion about correct tea making procedure should stoop to the level of tea bags in a cup.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          I cannot believe that a discussion about correct tea making procedure should stoop to the level of tea bags in a cup.
          tea bagging is a serious business you know.

Comment

One cup two men ?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              And?

The only reason milk was ever poured in first is the material some cups were made out of cracked if they got too hot.
              Hmm, I thought it was more to absorb the tannins and thus remove any bitter taste and tendency to stain the cup.

(But admittedly not everything I think turns out to be right )

Also, I think the main intent of using a thin porcelain cup, besides its delicate and refined appearance, is simply that there's less material to absorb heat from the water.

You can make a decent cuppa just as well in a chunkier mug provided you first warm it with boiling water, and then ditch that and brew the actual tea with a fresh lot of boiling water.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Milk in first. when using a teapot. The reason is that the milk contains enzymes that counteract the bitterness of the tea. If you add milk to the hot tea, you destroy the enzymes before they can work. Since you've already made the tea with boiling water, you don't have to worry about "Milk to go in last (to avoid cooling the water down)".

If you're using a teabag in a cup, milk in first/last is the least of your worries. But if you add the milk last, then do so once the tea has cooled to between 65-80°C, according to ISO 3103.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The feel of the cup on your lip makes a big difference too. No idea the science behind that but tea in fine china and tea in a big mug is a different experience, and tea in a paper cup is foul but coffee is relatively unaffected.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

By all means fanny about with dainty porcelain cups if you want to, but there's nothing wrong with a mug of tea.

Comment

Working...
                    X