• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract vs Permanent offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract vs Permanent offer

Hi,

Advice required please -

Offer 1: A 6 month contract. Offer in hand and the agency is pushing me to sign.
    More difficult and dirty work

Offer 2: Final stage interview with an IB for a perm role.
    Comfortable work

I have decided to take up the perm role due to personal circumstances.

How do I play this ?

Tell agency 1 that I am at interview stage elsewhere and to give me more time?
    - Downside they may look and offer someone else

Start the contract and quit if I get the perm
    - This may mean burning bridges with the agency and the company who may offer me future work

Any other options?

Irrespective of all the above I am going to let the IB know that I have offer and push them to conclude the process.

Regards

Originally posted by metallica View Post
    Hi,

Advice required please -

Offer 1: A 6 month contract. Offer in hand and the agency is pushing me to sign.
    More difficult and dirty work

Offer 2: Final stage interview with an IB for a perm role.
    Comfortable work

I have decided to take up the perm role due to personal circumstances.

How do I play this ?

Tell agency 1 that I am at interview stage elsewhere and to give me more time?
    - Downside they may look and offer someone else

Start the contract and quit if I get the perm
    - This may mean burning bridges with the agency and the company who may offer me future work

Any other options?

Irrespective of all the above I am going to let the IB know that I have offer and push them to conclude the process.

Regards
    If you are going permie do you are that you are burning bridges? Unless you don't intend on staying very long, how confident are you of getting the permie job? Are you working at the moment, can you afford to be choosy?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Not working at the moment. Pretty confident of getting the perm job.

But I know the agency and the company involved in contract job well and dont want to spoil the relationship.

Comment

Take option 1 and then give notice to go to option 2 once you've landed it. It's a permie role so they'll be expecting to wait for a month anyway. Win-Win

Comment

I would tend towards being honest with the agency, as you say rep. is important. Be straight up and honest you have a permie interview if it works out you're going there, otherwise you take the contract.

If a client is looking for contractors they usually are seeking more than one contractor. There will be other contract opportunities.

Only if I was desperate for cash would I take the contract position, knowing I'll probably disappear.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Stall agent 1, tell them you need to get the contract terms reviewed or somesuch. Tell agent 2 that you have done this and need an offer sharpish. Put a deadline on it and stick to it.

Do not accept offer 1 if you plan to bin it in a couple of weeks. You'll piss off agent 1, which isn't too important, but you will piss of client 1 who may not forget. Whatever, this sort of thing gives contractors a bad name.

Comment

Thanks all.

I was thinking of pushing the contract to delay start date by a week to buy more time. The dillemma is if I should be honest and tell of other interview which may result in me losing the offer OR use other delaying tactic...anyways they may not be happy as they know I am not working and know I can start immediately.

The IB knows of the contract offer, but with easter hols they are finding it difficult to move things fast, so I am told. It may still take several weeks for the offer and I cant realistically hold the contract offer till then.

Comment

Never feel bad about lying to agents as they're almost certainly lying to you.

And as long as you end every email with "Regards" you'll be fine.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If you ask and can't make a proper differentiation between the two except for one is a bit more difficult then go perm. Leave the dirty contractor work for those of us who have the cojones and relish the challenge. A nice comfy permie desk sounds must more like your cup of tea.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    If you ask and can't make a proper differentiation between the two except for one is a bit more difficult then go perm. Leave the dirty contractor work for those of us who have the cojones and relish the challenge. A nice comfy permie desk sounds must more like your cup of tea.
                    Ouch!

Comment

Working...
                    X