• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Women tennis players pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women tennis players pay

Aren't men and women paid way too much?

Apart from the fit women. I hope to be reincarnated as Anna Kournikova's second serve tennis ball.....

At its simplest, in the slams the women should get 60% of the men because they play best of 3 v best of 5.

At a more complicated level, supply and demand dictates; even more so in other sports like football. Tennis is one of few sports where men are better but there is significant interest in the women's game.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Not sure the number of sets thing is too relevant - there is no way in which they are being paid for the number of hours played so that's a bit artificial.

Basing it on public interest/marketability seems more reasonable since it's driven through sponsorship, etc. Right now, (in the UK anyway) both men and women are more interested in mens' tennis.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        At its simplest, in the slams the women should get 60% of the men because they play best of 3 v best of 5.

At a more complicated level, supply and demand dictates; even more so in other sports like football. Tennis is one of few sports where men are better but there is significant interest in the women's game.
        I don't think the debate is about 3 vs 5 sets, it more about interest in women's game. I think this is what Djokovic was alluding to. If any of the Grand Slam or Masters event were to negotiate its broadcast & sponsorship rights separately, it is fairly certain that Men's game would pull in more revenue, which in turn would result in higher prize fund for Men's game.

There is definitely an interest in Women's tennis and it is a lot higher than women's football, cricket but still don't believe it is as high as Men's game

Comment

I don't think there should be any sexism in sport. Sexism is wrong and wrong is for women.

HTHBIDI
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Aren't men and women paid way too much?

Apart from the fit women. I hope to be reincarnated as Anna Kournikova's second serve tennis ball.....
            Or her knickers, in my case

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              Or her knickers, in my case
              Do they do knickers that large?

Comment

Yep but something that big made of silk/nylon is generally referred to as a parachute.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This is reincarnation you chunt. Walter mitty MF type stuff ...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Yep but something that big made of silk/nylon is generally referred to as a parachute.
                    Or ankle warmers in the case of NLYUK?

Comment

Working...
                    X