• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self-billing - any impact on IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-billing - any impact on IR35?

About to sign a new contract

The agency insists that I have to use their self-billing for my invoicing rather than raising my own invoices on them.

Two points on Self-billing:

1) Does "self-billing by an agency" have any IR35 aspect to it? I guess not. But the opinion seems to be divided in the community / forums.
    2) Can i still create my own invoices if I accept to the self-billing with the agency?
    Having read the law on self-billing, its clear that I cannot "issue" an invoice on my own to the agency / customer, but my thinking is that maybe I can still create my own invoices (since I want to keep it in my style, with my company logo etc.) but use the same invoice number that the self-billing note/invoice says in there? (and attach the self-billing invoice note from the agency along with my invoice)

What do you guys think on these?

I am waiting on QDOS review at this time on the contract review, so I am hoping they will say something on this too, if it means anything on the IR35 side of things.

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
    About to sign a new contract

The agency insists that I have to use their self-billing for my invoicing rather than raising my own invoices on them.

Two points on Self-billing:

1) Does "self-billing by an agency" have any IR35 aspect to it? I guess not. But the opinion seems to be divided in the community / forums.
    2) Can i still create my own invoices if I accept to the self-billing with the agency?
    Having read the law on self-billing, its clear that I cannot "issue" an invoice on my own to the agency / customer, but my thinking is that maybe I can still create my own invoices (since I want to keep it in my style, with my company logo etc.) but use the same invoice number that the self-billing note/invoice says in there? (and attach the self-billing invoice note from the agency along with my invoice)

What do you guys think on these?

I am waiting on QDOS review at this time on the contract review, so I am hoping they will say something on this too, if it means anything on the IR35 side of things.
    Have a look at this thread

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...f-billing.html

There's also a link in that thread from NLUK that helps. All your answers are in there.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      Have a look at this thread

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...f-billing.html

There's also a link in that thread from NLUK that helps. All your answers are in there.
      Thanks - Yes, read that thread. That is when I felt that there was this love/hate situation and a yes/no (on IR35 impact) on self-billing, and it all points to a divided opinion on this.

Comment

Thanks - Yes, read that thread. That is when I felt that there was this love/hate situation and a yes/no (on IR35 impact) on self-billing, and it all points to a divided opinion on this.
        Well my take is whilst I dislike the process of self-billing, I don't factor it into an assessment of in/out when considering the IR35 aspects of analysing a role.

Comment

Thats idea sounds like it's just going to lead to trouble. Two invoices with the same number and only one of them a compliant VAT Invoice.

If your so eager to generate your own paperwork I suppose you could generate a payment request (effectively a invoice without the VAT) and with its own reference number.

Comment

Working...
          X