• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I have lost my mojo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have lost my mojo

Having a really difficult contract – I may be leaving in 3 weeks or may be extended, client not telling me straight, and the agent is not getting back to me. They are giving my role to a wet behind the years project manager who psises on shoes, and two graduates without a scoobydoo. I am also an expert administrator for their test management suite, they have absolutely no skills of the product in-house. They kind of don’t want me, but need me and cannot decide which way to go with me. Pretty soul destroying. The project is in a terrible position but they are in denial, back –patting around the permies and blissful acquiescence.

If I leave, I am seriously questioning if I want to carry on in this game. I am too comfortable – mortgage is low, I can live on Living Wage very comfortably – I have around 4 years living expenses which is not giving me a great deal of motivation to get back to it.

I have not had a holiday other than Christmas break for around a year. Maybe I am just having burnout, maybe a couple of months in the French apartment will be enough to sort me out, and to look for contracts while by the poolside.

Maybe I am just worried about having a relaxing break for not being bothered to get back into it as I don’t have the burning need to.

Anyone else felt like this after a year of crepe? I used to enjoy my work.

I think you should get laid ASAP.

Once the frustrations are gone, sit and think carefully till you realise that YANCOTBAC.

First, priorities though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      Having a really difficult contract – I may be leaving in 3 weeks or may be extended, client not telling me straight, and the agent is not getting back to me. They are giving my role to a wet behind the years project manager who psises on shoes, and two graduates without a scoobydoo. I am also an expert administrator for their test management suite, they have absolutely no skills of the product in-house. They kind of don’t want me, but need me and cannot decide which way to go with me. Pretty soul destroying. The project is in a terrible position but they are in denial, back –patting around the permies and blissful acquiescence.

If I leave, I am seriously questioning if I want to carry on in this game. I am too comfortable – mortgage is low, I can live on Living Wage very comfortably – I have around 4 years living expenses which is not giving me a great deal of motivation to get back to it.

I have not had a holiday other than Christmas break for around a year. Maybe I am just having burnout, maybe a couple of months in the French apartment will be enough to sort me out, and to look for contracts while by the poolside.

Maybe I am just worried about having a relaxing break for not being bothered to get back into it as I don’t have the burning need to.

Anyone else felt like this after a year of crepe? I used to enjoy my work.
      Screw the extension, take a holiday. Go somewhere warm and sunny and relax for a couple of weeks. Then come back and find a new gig.

PS. Have you looked down the back of the sofa?
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Your mojo is always in the last place you look.

HTH
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Screw the extension, take a holiday. Go somewhere warm and sunny and relax for a couple of weeks. Then come back and find a new gig.

PS. Have you looked down the back of the sofa?
          There are no squirrels in my sofa, so cant be ATW's.

Sunshine holiday easy - there is a family apartment in Perpignan which is my bolt-hole. May well just do that - in fact I am going there for Easter break.

Not an extension, but cutting the agreed 6 months in half and not having it formalised. That is my bitch.

Comment

I hear there is a nice permie role involving first class travel and all the stewardesses you can handle....

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              There are no squirrels in my sofa, so cant be ATW's.

Sunshine holiday easy - there is a family apartment in Perpignan which is my bolt-hole. May well just do that - in fact I am going there for Easter break.

Not an extension, but cutting the agreed 6 months in half and not having it formalised. That is my bitch.

In which case when they tell you they don't want you anymore smile sweetly and inform them of the opportunity you now have to sit in the sun and relax
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Listen, just remember that there are a lot of arseholes in this world and so inevitably sometimes they get together and work in the same office. When that happens it can be a demoralising place for anyone with a normal outlook on life who stumbles in. Years ago I pulled 6 months in the worse tulip-hole in the world shortly after coming out of some of the best contracts I had had. The pure imbecility of some of the people there made me start to question m own sanity. Years since I have met several other guys that all worked there at different times and every one came to the conclusion that the place was poisoned by a small clique of Permanent staff that had NOT a CLUE what they were doing and were intent on undermining anyone that did.

No one ever expects an easy ride as a contractor but some places are just broken.

Comment

The guy taking over the test management has just asked me if there is a limit to the amount of test steps he can create, or if it has to be 10 at every test.

I am going to have some fun – should I give him God admin to allow him to stuff things up, or create a bespoked role which gives him some interestingly tailored access?

Comment

Working...
                    X