• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Missed my MOT appointment yesterday! :(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missed my MOT appointment yesterday! :(

Hell, I missed my MOT appointment yesterday because I completely forgot about it
    Idiot! me!

I can't touch my car now ... and incidentally its a long holiday weekend! There is no way I can get any appointments until Tuesday! (if I am lucky, I will get something on Tuesday, that is)
    I have heard that I can't even keep my car on the roadside parking (not private parking)??
    The MOT expired as of yesterday, and Toyota had given me an appointment only for yesterday - although i had booked it a month back!

This is the first MOT for my car as well - since I purchased it 3 years back.

Yesterday, i called up several places locally to see i can get it done, and nobody seems to have any appointments available for the next couple of weeks in a row!!!!
    I am not even sure if its a good idea to go elsewhere (local) to get my MOT done by them rather than the toyota dealer where i bought the car from ?
    What you guys think - is it OK?

That said, looking at the busy schedules and non-availability of MOT appointments anywhere for the next couple of weeks, it appears that the car servicing is a great lucrative business / market. They seem to be fully booked all the time
    IT/software development business does not stand a chance in comparison to car servicing business - by the looks of it!

The reason they don't have appointments is if they fix cars as well, then they will MOT your car, fix it and then officially MOT your car. So you will pay only one MOT fee and for any fixes.

If you had your car serviced in the last 3 months, changed tyres etc when told and have topped up all the fluids then find a local authority MOT only centre on Tuesday. They will MOT your car there and then. If it fails you have to find another garage to fix it.

Have a search on Moneysavingexpert.com as there should be info about where your nearest one is. I actually found one years ago by accident.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Not a biggie to drive without an MOT

HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

A three-year-old car is going to sail through an MOT. All they do is go around it checking that all the bits are screwed on properly, and there aren't any holes where there shouldn't be.

There's probably some backstreet place that'll do it straight away, or within a couple of hours, if you get there first thing. You don't need a main dealer, as there almost certainly isn't going to be any work done on the car. Try asking your neighbours, or down the pub.

I've used a local family business for my MOTs for fifteen years, and there have been times when I've popped in there while passing just to ask when I can get it done, and they've told me to leave the keys and they'll do it within a couple of hours.

If it's due for a service as well, just get that done separately. The MOT doesn't look at things like whether your oil filter needs changing, and the car will last another couple of weeks before an appointment
        Last edited by NickFitz; 25 March 2016, 13:46.

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          MTFU It's not a biggie to drive without an MOT, insurance, or even without a license

HTH
          Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 25 March 2016, 14:03.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Oh, and next time, remember you can get the MOT done up to a month in advance, which makes it easier to work around things like missed appointments or unexpected failures

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              FTFY
              Licence
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                All they do is go around it checking that all the bits are screwed on properly, and there aren't any holes where there shouldn't be.
                They do sometimes express their opinions though....

Comment

I missed my MOT recently. My learjet was out of order for an extra day. The things us contractors have to go through.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I missed my MOT recently. My learjet was out of order for an extra day. The things us contractors have to go through.
                    The Learjet Owners' Manual clearly states that your vehicle cannot be used for offroad purposes without invalidating the manufacturer's warranty....

Comment

Working...
                    X