• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hector = taxman.. why?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hector = taxman.. why?

hi all,
    i m a newbie here...
    by having a look at different posts on this BB, i found out that Hector is the nickname of the taxMan..

can anyone tell me why? where does that name come from?

thanx and regards
    marco

Yeah. The original taxman was called Hector Higginbotham. He was employed in 1914 when Income tax was first introduced. Originally tax guys were called Higginbothams but that was too much of a mouthful, so they bacame Hectors.

HTH
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Prior to that their name was chosen in a raffle after a random UK town name, so the name was Hector Scunthorpe, but they had to change it pretty quickly - I suppose Hector got his wifes' maiden name.

Comment

Higginbottom.

hth.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It comes from an old (and crap) advert

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk/1109716.stm

as in Hector the Tax Inspector.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
            Higginbottom.

hth.
            No I believe he was related to the illustrious clan from which Ian Botham came from. His great grandfather was Higgin, married a Botham and the initial hyphen vanished over a generation.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
            X