• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple and phone privacy etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple and phone privacy etc

Don't remember seeing a discussion here on this but happy to accept KUATB notices. With the new developments though we can add a a bit more too.

Were Apple right to make a level of protection that even they could not break?

The fact that someone else has managed to access Mr Farook's phone - does that mean that Apple are bullpooping in saying they couldn't do it?

Now that this person has done it will he sell the method back to Apple for a lot of money or will the FBI pay a higher price to keep that info for themselves?

It's a tough question for me, the line between privacy and protection of the population and like the referendum I tend to swing from one side of the argument to the other on a daily, if not hourly basis

Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Don't remember seeing a discussion here on this but happy to accept KUATB notices. With the new developments though we can add a a bit more too.

The fact that someone else has managed to access Mr Farook's phone - does that mean that Apple are bullpooping in saying they couldn't do it?

Now that this person has done it will he sell the method back to Apple for a lot of money or will the FBI pay a higher price to keep that info for themselves?

It's a tough question for me, the line between privacy and protection of the population and like the referendum I tend to swing from one side of the argument to the other on a daily, if not hourly basis
    They never said they couldn't do it, they said doing so would open up the risk to ne'er do wells getting hold of the technology to do so and replicating it, the fact the FBI have made a hash of it from day one, they had a way using an iCloud restore but botched the ability to do so by asking the owner to reset the password before speaking to Apple
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'm just shocked that the FBI haven't forced paper shredding companies to come up with a method to restore documents to their original unshredded state...

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        I'm just shocked that the FBI haven't forced paper shredding companies to come up with a method to restore documents to their original unshredded state...
        Germany already has that:
        Stasi files: The world's biggest jigsaw puzzle - BBC News

Comment

I was quite happy to see the egg land right on Apple's face

The chunts have cheek to ask the US govt to show them the weaknesses in their shaftware.

Down with Apple. Destroy them

Comment

Apple users think their phones can't be hacked, unlike those idiot Android users who are hacked 20 times a day. Clearly Apple had a lot to lose if they had done this.

Personally I think the pros of upholding the principles of freedom outweigh the cons.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

So what level of candy crush did the guy reach? We need to know.....

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Apple users think their phones can't be hacked, unlike those idiot Android users who are hacked 20 times a day. Clearly Apple had a lot to lose if they had done this.

Personally I think the pros of upholding the principles of freedom outweigh the cons.
                Heard of something called 'Open source' ?

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post

The one thing that is very simple is that the murderer should have no human rights; by carrying out what he did, for me he surrendered them. His phone and more importantly the information on it is fair game for whoever can get at it. What strikes me as interesting is that the Israelis can get into his phone.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

NickFitz posted lots of info about the story but the discussion never really went into detail about privacy rights.

Also it's bull saying the data can't be accessed. Most people automatically back their phones and tablets to cloud storage, so as long as this link exists then the data in the cloud can be retrieved.

In the case of the FBI they didn't listen to Apple's advice about getting the data back up so destroyed the link between the phone and cloud.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X