• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Farcical contract.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farcical contract.....

The suspense continues.

Agent has given me a letter stating contract now ending from 15th April, but he told me that the client may well want me for either a bit longer, or for original contract duration. They don’t know what they want. Client was to have seen me but did not show up for either meeting and will not talk straight.

I am really not bothered either way which way is goes, but, FFS, I end in just over two weeks so need to be focussed on either seeing this turkey through, or to get looking for my next adventure.

Absolutely incredible. I am past caring, so just doing the hours, performing on demand. Demeaning is an understatement.

Probably best I do leave – if I am kept on I am in no frame of mind to deliver my all as I usually do, due to the chain yanking they are doing.

I could write a presentation on this....

If I was in your position, I'd consider myself available from April 18th and start looking at the appropriate point - get the CV ready this week and start marketing it at weekend.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      If I was in your position, I'd consider myself available from April 18th and start looking at the appropriate point - get the CV ready this week and start marketing it at weekend.
      Kind of already done that - I always keep it fairly updated, have also included the current contract in the CV.

I have clicked through a few Jobserve roles, but I really need to be more active in following up by calling the agents.

Current agent is sound - he sees the situation for what it is, admires my taking it in my stride nature, and keen to still work with me, which makes things a little easier to stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
        Kind of already done that - I always keep it fairly updated, have also included the current contract in the CV.

I have clicked through a few Jobserve roles, but I really need to be more active in following up by calling the agents.

Current agent is sound - he sees the situation for what it is, admires my taking it in my stride nature, and keen to still work with me, which makes things a little easier to stomach.
        Problem is that he'll also be trying to keep the client sweet, so may not be the best person to look for a new project with.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
          This is all b0llocks - the pimp doesn't give a wink about you either way.

If ClientCo keeps dangling the bait and you keep biting - it costs him nothing
          If you stay he gets more commission for doing jack all.
          if the client bails - it costs him nothing

I thought you were experienced enough not to fall for this tulipe - "the agent admires me and keen to work with me" FFS!!

Comment

Wilmsloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post

I thought you were experienced enough not to fall for this tulipe - "the agent admires me and keen to work with me" FFS!!
              Yep, get that, see that, known this agent for a while, so a different kind of relationship.

He is pushing client to say either way by close of play tomorrow or agreed all round I will be walking.

Comment

In a similar boat, taken on a three month contract having agreed a rate 65% higher than the advertised rate (which was ludicrously low).

A month in and the agent calls to say the client didn’t realise my rate was higher (Hmmm) and I need to drop by 65%. A few days go by and I get another call from the agent saying I need to accept the cut or the contract will be terminated. A few more days go by and then another call from the agent to say that the business manager who I am working with has had a meeting with the budget holder and they are now happy to pay the agreed rate until the end of the three months and they may want to extend on the same rate, a lower rate or not at all. I think they have realised that the guys on the lower rate haven’t got a Scooby what they are doing. The end date is now eight working days away so CV is online and I’m available the day after the existing contract ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post

^^^ This, you're not on the pimps Christmas card list, he's playing you like a Violin!

Comment

Originally posted by Ketto View Post
                    In a similar boat, taken on a three month contract having agreed a rate 65% higher than the advertised rate (which was ludicrously low).

A month in and the agent calls to say the client didn’t realise my rate was higher (Hmmm) and I need to drop by 65%. A few days go by and I get another call from the agent saying I need to accept the cut or the contract will be terminated. A few more days go by and then another call from the agent to say that the business manager who I am working with has had a meeting with the budget holder and they are now happy to pay the agreed rate until the end of the three months and they may want to extend on the same rate, a lower rate or not at all. I think they have realised that the guys on the lower rate haven’t got a Scooby what they are doing. The end date is now eight working days away so CV is online and I’m available the day after the existing contract ends.
                    Hopefully you've struck a blow in that organisation for "you get what you pay for". Fingers crossed it forms part of their lessons learned process and you'll get the extension.

Comment

Working...
                    X