• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non tax resident rules

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non tax resident rules

A chap (ex-IR type) at my accountant is insisting that in order to pass the non-residency tests you have to have been out of the U.K since day 1 of the new tax year.
    Regardless of how many days you have spent out of the U.K.

I'm sure this isn't true and I can't find anything that would back him up either.

From what I have read, you can be non-resident for tax purposes regardless of when you left the U.K so long as you don't spend more than 90 days in the UK.

Who is right?

Cheers

The tax man. To be non resident for the year the period between the day that you left and the day you return MUST be at least a complete Tax year. Once you satisfy this rule you can then count your days and see if you pass the 90 day average rule. You can't use the excess of the 90 days to make a 10 month period into a complete year.

tim

Comment

Oh well.. maybe next time. :rolleyes

Cheers,

Comment

does this help?

From a Tax advisor...

"If you spend over 183 days in a single tax year in the UK you will be regarded as tax resident. Alternatively if you spend an average of 90 days a year over a four year period you would also be regarded as resident."

My understanding is that you don't count the day you arrive, or the day you depart, but I am open to being corrected..

And I have been advised to keep a diary, detailing location for every day, just in case you get asked in the future.

Comment

Re: does this help?

jmiom2004

your understanding is correct.

However it is of absolutely no use to someone who habitually lives/works in the UK and leaves temporarly.

tim

Comment

Re: does this help?

"My understanding is that you don't count the day you arrive, or the day you depart, but I am open to being corrected."

I believe the rule is that a day is counted if you spend midnight of that day in the UK.

Comment

Re: Re: does this help?

no Sysman, that rule was changed in about 1988

tim

Comment

Working...
              X