• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welcome and ask

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome and ask

Welcome,

I'd like to ask about... Are there any chances to find a job as Contractor in UK as a junior programmer with knowledge of the Python(good), Django(basic), Linux, Git and C(dusty)? Right after school for someone from abroad? (I'm 19 years old).
    I can show few finished programs and scripts and generally I can show that I was working something with it.
    Is it possible to manage whole this stuff... it means interview etc... for email, skype, phone or sth like that without prior arrival on place?

And my English is like you can see above.

Regards

What Nationality are you, for a start?
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

No get a permanent job.

You are to young for people to take you seriously.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The chances of getting contract work are minimal.

Clients want experienced people who can come in and hit the ground running without having to get them up to speed or train them.

If you are not an EU citizen then you will fall foul of the Visa requirements as well, no client will want to sponsor a contractor for a visa, it's too much trouble and liability for them, nor will any of the Umbrella companies.

You'd be better of looking for a junior permanent role and getting some experience before making the jump to contracting.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

No.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Twentier View Post
            Welcome,

I'd like to ask about... Are there any chances to find a job as Contractor in UK as a junior programmer with knowledge of the Python(good), Django(basic), Linux, Git and C(dusty)? Right after school for someone from abroad? (I'm 19 years old).
            I can show few finished programs and scripts and generally I can show that I was working something with it.
            Is it possible to manage whole this stuff... it means interview etc... for email, skype, phone or sth like that without prior arrival on place?

Regards
            Straight in the bin with shortcuts like that I'm afraid.

Normal perm job or consultancy route would be best as SueEllen advised.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Welcome and ask

Also if non-EU contracting is not possible since T1 General was closed, all work visas are now tied to a licenced sponsor, ie the employer.

And under the new rules this April I understand the minimum salary level is £35k for T2 General.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Straight in the bin with shortcuts like that I'm afraid.
                The title of the thread was enough to get my pedantry riled.

"Welcome" is something someone says when they are doing the welcoming. "Hello" would be more appropriate
                "Ask". Unless you are a premiership football manager with a poor grasp of English sentence structure, "ask" on its own is not enough. "I have a question to ask" or "I would like to ask something" would work.

My advice to the OP would be to gain experience working in a permanent role, perhaps for an end client or consultancy. After a few years of experience under your belt in the big bad world and building up a savings pot, then consider your future plans.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  The title of the thread was enough to get my pedantry riled.

"Welcome" is something someone says when they are doing the welcoming. "Hello" would be more appropriate
                  "Ask". Unless you are a premiership football manager with a poor grasp of English sentence structure, "ask" on its own is not enough. "I have a question to ask" or "I would like to ask something" would work.

My advice to the OP would be to gain experience working in a permanent role, perhaps for an end client or consultancy. After a few years of experience under your belt in the big bad world and building up a savings pot, then consider your future plans.
                  Woosaaaaa.

I'd suggest perm role too as it would be somewhere that they could improve their English language skills as well.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Twentier View Post
                    Welcome,

Regards
                    Ignore the haters, I'm sure with those cutting edge skills, years of experience and eloquent English, someone will pay you a grand a day.

HTH
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X