• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Low taxes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low taxes

Millions of households face council tax rises of up to £58 in biggest increase since 2008

Millions of families face council tax increases of up to £58 on Friday as local authorities across England take advantage of new powers from the Treasury.

Bills are set to rise by an average of 3.6 per cent outside London in what amounts to the largest council tax rise since 2008, according to the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA).

It comes after George Osborne allowed councils to charge an extra 2 per cent to fund social care on top of the 1.99 per cent rise already permitted without a local referendum.

Some 127 English councils have picked increases of close to the full 3.99 per cent for the next financial year, according to a survey by CIPFA.

Households outside London with average Band D homes will pay an average of £54 more next year as a result of the changes.

Source: Housing market panic as buyers rush to beat stamp duty change

Up to £58! I wish. How many contractors have a band D house?

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
      Me.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just calculated my taxes for 2015. 23% income tax overall. Including social deductions (NI) and health insurance, 29%. Last time I lived in the UK it was 52% - on considerably less.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
          Mine's D or E. IIRC when we moved up the road from a smaller house we went down from E to D.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Challenge your council tax band, and if they move it down, you could be inline for £1000's in refunds.

Council Tax Bands: Lower your band & reclaim £1000s – MSE

Comment

Although there is a slight potential IIRC they can decide to adjust it upwards?!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Challenge your council tax band, and if they move it down, you could be inline for £1000's in refunds.

Council Tax Bands: Lower your band & reclaim £1000s – MSE
                It could also go up, or your neighbours could go up to match yours.

Comment

Working...
                X