• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Middle-class families 'resentful' as Government takes record £4.6bn inheritance tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle-class families 'resentful' as Government takes record £4.6bn inheritance tax

"British families’ inheritance tax bill will this year exceed £4bn for the first time in history, official data shows, as experts warn resentment is building among a record number of middle-class savers now being forced to pay “death duties”.

Inheritance tax receipts for the 12 months to February this year, published by the Office for National Statistics, show this year’s inheritance tax bill is on track to be more than a fifth higher than last year, with the Government expected to take £4.6bn in inheritance tax in 2015-16 compared to £3.8bn for the same period in 2014-15.

Separate projections from the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) reveal the number of family estates on which inheritance tax must be paid has quadrupled since 2010, with the number up from around 10,000 to more than 40,000 this year.

Experts on Saturday condemned inheritance tax as a “devious” tax on middle-class savers who have enjoyed financial success. They warned the boost to the Government's coffers would foster resentment among families being charged ahead of a new, more generous allowance being introduced next year.

The number of inheritance tax receipts was also boosted by a spike in winter deaths as a result of the flu virus hitting older people particularly hard last year. As a result the Treasury said it was expecting to net an extra £200m more than expected.

Source: Middle-class families 'resentful' as Government takes record £4.6bn inheritance tax bill

It's ironic that Tories played inheritance tax card to get in power (and stop Brown from early election), yet the reality is that they tax the heck out of already overtaxed middle classes

Oi Waldorf, should the Tory Scum Govt stop winter fuel payments to help reduce debt mountain???
    Last edited by AtW; 2 April 2016, 16:52.

So much for John Major's pathetic pledge to abolish inheritance tax
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      So much for John Major's pathetic pledge to abolish inheritance tax
      For the really wealthy it's abolished...

Comment

I bet they are too pleased with the windfall to care.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I bet they are too pleased with the windfall to care.
          Maybe they've engineered the virus in the first place...

Comment

I don't see any quotes in the story from actual middle-class families that would justify their depiction in the headline as a bunch of selfish, greedy, whining gits

Just some self-serving guff from people who make their money off of other people's money rather than doing anything productive.

Comment

4.6 billion seems a lot of money but in the grand scheme of things it is not.

And why are only middle class people paying it/getting angry?

As NF says load o rubbish

Comment

So let me get this straight, 4 times as many people are paying inheritance tax since 2010 however the IHT receipt for 2010/11 was 2.7 billion compared to 4.6 billion.

Looks like the average IHT Bill is actually coming down.

Comment

Apart from being morally dodgy, inheritance tax incentivises people not to save and not to earn.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I don't see any quotes in the story from actual middle-class families that would justify their depiction in the headline as a bunch of selfish, greedy, whining gits

Just some self-serving guff from people who make their money off of other people's money rather than doing anything productive.
                    +1000

I do hope DA or assguru will respond to your post and confirm my prejudices about them.....

Comment

Working...
                    X