• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job specs that ring alarm bells

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job specs that ring alarm bells

.Net Developer - ASP.NET, MVC, JavaScript, Agile

looked OK until I reached this bit:

This is a fantastic opportunity to work in a team of highly skilled people, all with strong opinions about various technologies, frameworks and approaches to delivery.
    Sounds like the contract from hell. I don't like working with opinionated permies, especially smart and knowledgeable ones!

What phrases ring alarm bells for you?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

"We are looking for a fire in the belly kind of guy."

Comment

"This role has a very strong possibility of converting to perm for the right candidate"

"Good company perks for Contractors, including subsidised canteen and free gym membership"

"We use the Agile methodology for project delivery"
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
        "We are looking for a fire in the belly kind of guy."
        Frequent trips to the company's Bangalore office?
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I have my current gig as I work with people with strong opinions. Its a team of 9 globally. I am the only one in London. My timesheet signer, based in London, won't let one of his team(all permies) on the project.

As long as I don't rough anyone up too badly, its a good gig.

My invoice gets paid. The rest is noise.

Comment

Best one I had was the agent telling me, for a project management role: "they're getting rid of the last guy as he wasn't just giving the good news to management, he kept highlighting the risks to them"

Er ...

Comment

Originally posted by Flibble View Post
              Best one I had was the agent telling me, for a project management role: "they're getting rid of the last guy as he wasn't just giving the good news to management, he kept highlighting the risks to them"

Er ...
              Sounds like you aren't a team player
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You will work with a team of 9 guys highly skilled ....
                Absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Sounds like you aren't a top-management-arse licker
                  FTFY

Comment

Best one I had in a while was 'the contract is paying a tulip rate because the company is offering the security of an initial 12 month contract and they have several years of work in the pipelines so extensions are likely' (paying the same tulip rate no doubt)

Comment

Working...
                    X