• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lottery winner Gillian Bayford's cafe employees 'to get just £100' after its closure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lottery winner Gillian Bayford's cafe employees 'to get just £100' after its closure

Café workers sacked by lottery winner Gillian Bayford have hit out at the £100 pay-offs they say they have been offered.

Bayford, 43, and her ex-husband Adrian won £148 million on the EuroMillions in 2012.

After their split, Ms Bayford bought the Sugar and Spice café, near Arbroath harbour, but suddenly closed it earlier this month.

Some angry employees are now planning legal action against their former boss after revealing they would each get just £100 from the multi-millionaire.

One of the 21 café staff told the Scottish Sun: “Gillian obviously has no compassion in her at all. Losing my job was bad enough because I loved it - but this £100 offer is just making fools of us.”

It is reported some of the staff were sent a letter telling them they were not entitled to redundancy or notice because they are 'casual workers'.

The letter said: “We understand you worked very hard for our company.

“You are not entitled to redundancy or notice due to being a casual worker. You may be entitled to a one-off payment of £100.”

It also warned workers they could not speak about the offer.

But one staff member told The Sun: “They can sue me if they want but I have nothing. They’ve left me skint.

"Gillian is embarrassed but everyone needs to know what is going on.”

Mrs Bayford was working night shifts as a healthcare assistant when she won the lottery.

Since the win, she has invested an estimated £3million in property.

Ms Bayford has been contacted for comment."

Source: Lottery winner Gillian Bayford's cafe employees 'to get just £100' after its closure

Cheers!

Let's face it, a "sugar and spice" café was never going to work in Scotland. They should have gone for the lard and batter café

Comment

It also warned workers they could not speak about the offer
      Always fatal. It always leaks, and it looks like you know you're doing wrong.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Let's face it, a "sugar and spice" café was never going to work in Scotland. They should have gone for the lard and batter café
      Perhaps they were hoping to catch tourist trade?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Are we sure the guy in the Purple shirt isn't FLC
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Are we sure the guy in the Purple shirt isn't FLC
          Don't make fun of my ex-wife you blithering chunt

Comment

Hang on, most people around here make it very clear to try and distinguish the fact someones company money is not their own, so why would a person's money have anything to do with their company?!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
            X