• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I accept payment in EUR or GBP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I accept payment in EUR or GBP

Hi All,

I have just got a contract for a client in France. The Agency (based in UK) is insisting that I accept the payments in EUR. I have never accepted payment in EUR earlier and do not know what I am getting into and which currency should I accept for my contract. Is it troublesome to accept payment in EUR or should I insist the contract to be based in GBP only? The agency is using today's exchange rate to agree on daily rate in EUR for the contract.

Can anyone help me decide which currency I should go with.

Thanks

If the Euro is going to get weaker, then this is a bad move. If the Euro is going to get stronger, then this is a good move.

Don't forget to include the handling charges in your rate as well, unless you have an account that allows Euro payments without a fee.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      If the Euro is going to get weaker, then this is a bad move. If the Euro is going to get stronger, then this is a good move.

Don't forget to include the handling charges in your rate as well, unless you have an account that allows Euro payments without a fee.
      And also somewhere down the line it will need to be converted, unless you keep it in Euros and relocate.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

I do not have EUR account. Do you know how the charges comes up in terms of the rate?

For example, for a contract of EUR 500 are we talking about charges of like 1-2% of the daily rate to convert to GBP so like 5-10 EUR expense on the rate?
        Also, how much of a hassle is it to convert the money say on monthly basis once the relevant bank account is open?

I am currently with HSBC on GBP currency. Not sure if they will allow EUR account and what kind of charges they would have. I guess HSBC may not be as competitive in currency conversion but I do not know who would be.

Appreciate your views.

Thanks,
        Sunil

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          And also somewhere down the line it will need to be converted, unless you keep it in Euros and relocate.
          I am not relocating and would intend to convert it on a regular basis. Not sure how much hassle it will be. Any views?

Comment

Originally posted by NoviceContractor View Post
            I am not relocating and would intend to convert it on a regular basis. Not sure how much hassle it will be. Any views?
            It's not the hassle it's the exchange rate and the cost to convert, as Faqqer said.

When I worked in Euroland I think I was charged €25 for the conversion, and converted at not the most favourable exchange rate. If I was on that contract now I'd never survive, the current exchange rate would have killed it for me.

Comment

Plenty of advice in these threads discussing exactly the same issue...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pa...qfK8LZaaC3qrgG
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also you'll need to register for EC sales wrt to VAT, a minor thing but more work. You charge no VAT and quote the agents French VAT number if they are French.

Comment

Personally, I'd insist on GBP, which reduces both your risk and hassle factor. It seems odd to me that one UK company (agency) would pay another UK company (YourCo) in EUR.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Also you'll need to register for EC sales wrt to VAT, a minor thing but more work. You charge no VAT and quote the agents French VAT number if they are French.
                    My Agency is based in UK. I will be working from home with client visit once in a month so I am not sure about VAT situation.

Comment

Working...
                    X