• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home office agreement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home office agreement

Hi there,

I've heard about people setting up a home office agreement to charge their limited company rent for office space, and was hoping for some advice on how to go about this!

I rent a 1 bedroom flat at the moment and work 100% from home, but I was wondering, if I rent a two bedroom flat and dedicate one room as an office and place for meetings, would it be possible to charge my company for 50% of the rent?

I'm not clear on how much I could charge the company and also how it should be determined.

Thank you in advance.

An example
    But ask your accountant to validate anything you dream up based on this sort of info

How do I calculate my working from home expenses? - FreeAgent

This is for a LTD they also have one for Sole traders Google is your friend.
    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 25 View Post
      Hi there,

I've heard about people setting up a home office agreement to charge their limited company rent for office space, and was hoping for some advice on how to go about this!

I rent a 1 bedroom flat at the moment and work 100% from home, but I was wondering, if I rent a two bedroom flat and dedicate one room as an office and place for meetings, would it be possible to charge my company for 50% of the rent?

I'm not clear on how much I could charge the company and also how it should be determined.

Thank you in advance.
      Possible, but the contractor mantra is to generally not stick your head above the parapet, otherwise it's a world of pain.

Investigations are not nice, my contractor buddy's one took three years to resolve, he was absolved, but had three years of worry...

Comment

You want to bring clients to a flat for meetings?? You'll find most leases don't allow this so you are going to struggle to get anywhere to live with that plan.

You don't know it come out of yournpocket ultimately, just a bit cheaper?

If you want to carry on can you really not find th3 answer you need here?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co...obile&ie=UTF-8

BTW there are more than 2 rooms in 2 bed flat so not sure why the rent claimable would be 50%
        Last edited by northernladuk; 7 April 2016, 22:14.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You want to bring clients to a flat for meetings?? You'll find most leases don't allow this so you are going to struggle to get anywhere to live with that plan.

You don't know it come out of yournpocket ultimately, just a bit cheaper?

If you want to carry on can you really not find th3 answer you need here?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co...obile&ie=UTF-8

BTW there are more than 2 rooms in 2 bed flat so not sure why the rent claimable would be 50%
          WHS
          Last edited by pr1; 8 April 2016, 08:27. Reason: overruled by the fun police

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            Half for the kitchen for providing client refreshments
            Half for the bathroom to provide toilet facilities as per his employees rights
            Half for the living room for meeting and co-working space for clients/employees

Watertight argument I think you'll agree
            No and nor does the guidance on renting home office space but thanks for that.

Comment

Half for the kitchen for providing client refreshments
              Half for the bathroom to provide toilet facilities as per his employees rights
              Half for the living room for meeting and co-working space for clients/employees

Watertight argument I think you'll agree
              Nope.

As:
              1. Residential rent contracts, and the lease or freehold covenant above that will forbid you from bringing clients to the property. There will be one or more neighbours who will report you to the landlord and freeholder for breaking the freehold.
              2. Your arguments are silly and an HRMC inspector would have fun with you.

If you need to have clients bring somewhere then just rent a commercial office space/meeting room as and when needed.
              Last edited by SueEllen; 8 April 2016, 07:50.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

are you both non-native English speaking?

Comment

are you both non-native English speaking?
                  I'm not. I'm from Yorkshire. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Why?
                    your sarcasm detectors are broken

Comment

Working...
                    X